Add action not appearing in Dashboard View - Use tabs in mobile view ON

Hy,

I have a View that has a system generated Add button Overlay.
If I make a Menu View or a Main View for it, when I access it the Add button displays normally as Overlay in the right corner.

However, I make this view part of a Dashboard, it does not display anymore. I can understand why that would be the case in a normal Dashboard, where you have to scroll down through all the Views you select to be part of it. BUT, if the Dashboard has the Use Tabs in Mobile View option On, than it would be really nice if the Add Action button would display in it’s Tab so that you can actually use that View as more than just display, if used in a Dashboard.

Is this a bug on my side?
Or is this actually a Request? If so, is it possible or is there a reason it is not already so?

Thank you

Status Delivered
8 22 5,340
22 Comments
Marc_Dillon
Participant V

The add button does not display in table views inside of dashboard views.
You can click the header of the inner table view to go to just that view, where the button will appear.
So this would be a feature request, and I’m surprised it is not already (or at least I can’t find it in search).
Action buttons will show up in Detail views inside dashboards, you could try to leverage that somehow.

Aleksi
Staff

I will change this to a feature request.

TDhers
Participant V

Thank you Marc and Aleksi.
I just added it to our Product planning app (which coincidentally did force me out of my Stats dashboard to actually create the entry. So problem well understood and pain felt here as well)

Thierry

sorin_mihai
Participant V

Perfect can’t wait for it.

FatLou
Participant III

Any updates on this functionality? It would be a massive time saver. I have clients who prefer to interact with their data via dashboards. This includes adding to the tables being viewed from the dashboard pane.

Cheers,
Will

Scott_Hall
Participant V

Another vote for Add record (display overlay) functionality in dashboards. Have wrestled with this for a while. Just seems like an intuitive feature that is missing.

Thanks.

fdmsaraiva
Participant V

Another take on this problem is not that actions are missing in tabs, but rather that tabs are missing some way of navigating to the tab’s standalone view.

With mobile tabs turned off, you need only click a dashboard pane’s title to navigate to that view alone, and there overlay actions display normally.

Additionally, I’d say there’s a stronger case for solving the issue by implementing a way of accessing the standalone view of tabs, because in the standalone view you not only have your actions back, but you can also click through to detail views of listed objects, which you can’d do inside interactive dashboards, and require wasting dashboard real estate with embedded detail views.

Suggestions for navigating to a tab’s standalone view:

1. Tap the currently selected tab
  2. Add a thumb-friendly fullscreen icon besides each tab’s title
  3. Double tap any tab
  4. Long press any tab
Dario
Participant V

I’d also like to suggest this feature, as I’ve found the deeper I develop with Appsheet the more I see the benefit of this. Originally I had thought it was possible because when you set one of your dashboard views to ‘deck’ you can set the ‘Action Bar’ to show. Another thing that made me think it was possible is when you tweak your overlays it shows up before saving the form, but after saving those options disappear. Maybe its something the Appsheet developers have tested or are busy building?

Anyway thanks for the thread guys.

Aleksi
Staff

Have you tried to set the option UX > Options > “Show overlay actions in dashboard”

Dario
Participant V

Aleksi you are a guardian angel! I don’t know how this option slipped by me as I was just in the UX->Options yesterday.

As a workaround I was using a dashboard with action buttons that linked to the form entry. This saves a lot of that hassle so thank you!

Aleksi
Staff

You’re welcome

Jon_Capria
Participant I

Hi guys, I’m having the same problem in one of my projects, but the curious thing is that this issue doesn’t happen in my other projects… Is there anything I’m probably missing?

I haven’t been able to find an answer, any help is very appreciated.

Jon_Capria
Participant I

Never mind guys, I just found the solution lol.

UX, Options:

Marc_Dillon
Participant V

@Steve This feature request appears to have been fulfilled by the “show overlay actions in dashboards” option.

David_Mildenber
Participant I

Wow, this just saved my app, again…