Add data on column but not edit it after

Hello! If I set a column to be editable, it will appear on my add form (action), although some columns I have are editable after being added and some others are not, I even have two columns that are identically designed although one is editable after the data is added and the other one is not.
I need the users to be able to add data to a specific column, but then not be able to edit it after is added. How can I do that?
Thanks in advance.

Solved Solved
1 7 1,002
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

To allow the user to add a value only when the row is first created, but not when edited later, set Editable? to the expression:

NOT(IN([_ROWNUMBER], table-name[[_ROWNUMBER]))

replacing table-name with the name of the table.

To allow the user to add a value only so long as the column does not already have a value, set Editable? to the expression:

ISBLANK([_THISROW_BEFORE].[column-name])

replacing column-name with the name of the column. Note that _THISROW_BEFORE is relatively new and may not yet be available to all app creators. If you find that the case, I can provide an alternative.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

To allow the user to add a value only when the row is first created, but not when edited later, set Editable? to the expression:

NOT(IN([_ROWNUMBER], table-name[[_ROWNUMBER]))

replacing table-name with the name of the table.

To allow the user to add a value only so long as the column does not already have a value, set Editable? to the expression:

ISBLANK([_THISROW_BEFORE].[column-name])

replacing column-name with the name of the column. Note that _THISROW_BEFORE is relatively new and may not yet be available to all app creators. If you find that the case, I can provide an alternative.

Thanks Steve. To add to this query, how do we give the right to admins to edit after submission of a data row and not give this right to everyone else. The admins email ids are listed in a separate data table. Thanks for your solution in advance. 

Please start a new topic for your question. Please also consider using the community's search feature, as this topic has been addressed many times.

My apologies.. Thank you for your reply

Utsav Chhawchharia / Director
+91-9811773519/ utsav@anrinternational.in

ANR INTERNATIONAL PVT LTD Office: +91-11-43010350-54 / Fax: +91-11-43011634
Plot No. 167, Patparganj Industrial Area, Delhi-110092
www.anrinternational.in

This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).
Any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the
taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is prohibited.
E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they
can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates
with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted these risks. Company Name is
not responsible for errors or omissions in this message and denies any
responsibility for any damage arising from the use of e-mail. Any opinion
and other statement contained in this message and any attachment are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

it seems this solution does not work with the new desktop UI.

is there an expression which would allow same functionality with the new desktop?

Desktop View is currently a preview feature and under active development. Preview features are not yet suitable for use in important apps. Until it has achieved greater stability, I recommend against using this preview feature except for testing and to help the AppSheet developers in their efforts. To follow the progress of and contribute to the development effort, please visit this dedicated Community topic:

In Preview: New UI design for desktop users

This solved my problem, I used the first option. Thank you Steve.

Top Labels in this Space