Hey everyone! We just started rolling out the ability to add descriptions to expressions. We’re starting with just slice filters, but we plan to expand the supported locations in the editor as we develop the feature.
As the rollout progresses and you’re able to try it out, we would love to hear your feedback and thoughts in this thread!
Note: If you’ve opted in early to the “Use words to create expressions” feature, the “descriptions” feature is already available to you.
Why add this “descriptions” feature?
- App creators won’t have to click into the Expression Assistant to understand the expression, especially when the expression has been visibly truncated in the slice definition.
- Descriptions may help app creators to remember what their formula does.
- On apps with multiple app creators, descriptions may make collaboration easier, as it allows the expression author to explain their intent.
- Descriptions allow AppSheet to use these descriptions as training data for machine learning models that enable app creators to “use words to create expressions.”
What’s the difference between this and the “Descriptive comment” field for the slice?
- Descriptive comment: Any generic description about the slice
- Expression description: Declarative description about what the slice filter expression does
I realize this can be confusing, so any feedback on ways to disambiguate these fields is appreciated.
If I’m not interested, how do I opt-out?
For now, opt-out is not available for self-service and must be done manually, so to do that, you can send me a PM with your account ID. I will add a self-service option in due time.