Add existing record OR new record on to map + map partitions

I’ve just figured out how to implement custom pictures as maps and it’s working partially.

When going through a record I can place the pin belonging to that record, but when starting off from maps and then adding a pin my only option is to add a new record.
Now since most of my databases are existing I’d like to quickly add pins from map view and connect them to existing records.
Any workaround that, when in a map view, I could get an option to connect to an existing record or add a new record?

We heavily rely on partitions as we have 50+ databases, each database has it’s own custom maps we would like to connect. Right now the only solution we found is to jam every single map in to 1 folder creating a very messy data storage.
Is it possible to use partitions when using custom maps?

0 7 349
7 REPLIES 7

Answering to question 1 ; Create a map view out of the table where you have latlon type data field. You will see pins for all the rows with latlon value out of that table. You can add new pins as well.

Answering to question 2 ; 50 + tables sounds bit significant. Is there any chance to reduce the number of table, by merging tables? Your data is sitting on spreadsheet or SQL ? Do those table have the exactly same data schema, i.e. the same names of the column/fields?

Answer 1: I’ll look in to this and come back to it later.

Answer 2: Every table resembles a customer (up to 3000 records per table) and are all build following the same template (so columns are all the same). Customers can’t be merged as AppSheet is already struggling with the 1000+ record tables. Our data is sitting in Google Sheets in Gdrive.

If the column names are exactly same, it should be merged and make it a single table, then use SLICE in Appsheet. I m not sure what you are saying in “Appsheet is already struggling with the 100+ record tables”

In the meantime, your data set seems relatively large, and better to move to other data source, such as SQL, in light of the current data set size and possible growth as the time goes by.

When running my 1000+ record databases AppSheet gets very slow in response time, opening a record can take up to seconds.
I also have a marking function (set a value in a column) and based on the value it will move from one view to another view. (So far I haven’t found another way to do it as databases could be handled by multiple devices)
When selecting multiple records in the big databases and giving it a marking it can take up to 30 seconds before the app responds again.

For now I have to help myself with Google Sheets.

Getting back to answer 1:
In my table I’ve added 50,50 for every latlong so new every pin is centered, is there way to quickly drag around every pin instead of opening every pin > Edit record > move to latlong > remove > add again?

Like a quick edit on map view.

Okey, yes, I suggest you consider to review your table structures and data schema as a whole, and filter the data as much as possible, so that your app read only the rows you really needs to display on the app, by ruling out the set of rows which are not necessarily needed, to optimize the performance of your app.

Regarding your new question 1, as far as I know, there is no drag and drop type of interaction to change the lat lon value of the row over the map view, although it sounds a fancy if we could have that sort of feature.

1: I’m assuming this is a feature that doesn’t exist (yet)?

2: My app needs to display every single column so can’t really make it smaller. But so far I still don’t know if partitioning of the maps is possible or not?

1. Does “this” mean a feature to change latlon value by drag and drop over the map view? If so, No. There is no feature currently available.

2. I m not saying to restrict or show/hide the column. Just union all the table to the one table, but restrict the ROWS instead of column to optimize your app. I assume you may have multiple tables with same data scheme, each table assigned to different user, or member.
    Then merge the tables into single table with additional data field of USEREMAIL() or other useful field which can make app to recognize who are the owner of the each row.

Then slice this table into multiple virtual table using SLICE feature within Appsheet.

Top Labels in this Space