Add multiple photos from camera roll

khuslid
Participant V

HI,
We have so many users asking for how to add multiple images from camera roll, not just one by one and having to ADD > OPEN PHOTO > CHOOSE SOURCE > PICK IMAGE > SAVE for every single photo!
Lets say you have 5 images you’d like to add. It takes time and is frustrating, especially knowing that almost all other systems/apps allows you to add multiple photos from camera roll. Why not Appsheet?
Documenting through photos is one of the most important features for an app. I fear Appsheet is falling behind due to this.
It would be ok with a limit for this, e.g. max 5 photos at the time or something (if you must). Anything would help here…!
Please vote for this.

Status Under Review
41 28 1,455
28 Comments
1minManager
Participant V

So the issue here is to even do this you’d need to need to store the locations of all the photos in one column. Personally I think the time saving difference between adding each sperately or in a group of 5 is probably not worth the dev time. I’d be happier to see videos being able to be added

khuslid
Participant V

Hi. Well you should try and go out on a survey and do this daily. If you add photos from lets say 10 check points, and add 5 photos at each, this is 250 “taps”. Other apps normally allow you to pick numerous images from camera roll. I promise you: Frustrating for field guys doing this every day! And especially knowing what is the standard for other systems. UX is everything for our customers and users. We are all in competition with other solutions and systems.

Solution: Not sure, but maybe connecting this to an action enabling to add each image chosen to a photo-table (child record). So picking 5 images will cause 5 data-changes.

1minManager
Participant V

Try looking into turning on “auto advance in forms” and maybe even auto open a new form when you click save

Junaid_Babu
Explorer

This is a legit problem. I have an app where I have to upload around 30 images for one item and it’s very time consuming. What I eventually did was convert all images into PDF locally and then upload as a single file.

1minManager
Participant V

The only issue is if you later on want to put some of these images in a email template

khuslid
Participant V

Yes, and not easy to do out in the field or at site.

Steve
Participant V

I have no experience with this problem, and have no idea whether this idea would work: change the column type from Image to EnumList with a base type of Image?

daniel_sanchez
Participant V

the problem is that AppSheet accepts only one photo by field. in my case for my formularies, I need to add many columns of photos with different names photo1 photo2 photo3 etc…but the solution is precisely to add several photo fields in the same format, they are uploaded at the same time:

khuslid
Participant V

Did not work.
A way to add a number of photos from camera roll would definitely be time saving and UX friendly…

khuslid
Participant V

This illustrates the problem:)

Sara_Bertomeu
Participant V

@Steve I think the idea willbe by the way you indicates, but I try and no founded. Checking differents ways....

Thanks Boss

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

khuslid
Participant V

Just a tip while waiting for a better solution to this:

Make the Photos as a child record, and show only the PHOTO column (but you need ParentID, and maybe date, etc as well, but hidden).

Set your app to "Advance forms automaticly" (UX>Options>Form)

Set the form's "Auto save" to ON.

Make an action to re open the form with a LINKTOFORM() and with the same related data such at parentID, date, etc. (even if these colums are hidden).

Put this action  in the form on save (Behavior>Event Actions>Form saved)

By doing this you can fire away photos without too many "clicks". (But still not perfect)

Sara_Bertomeu
Participant V

@khuslid 

Nice solution, I will try later. Thanks

bolognesiedalla
Participant V

Does anyone have any updates on the development of this feature?