Add multiple rows into a another table

Romagi

Hi there ! I am starting using Appsheet and i get stuck while trying to create an action that adds multiple rows at once. Let me detailed my issue :
I have a Table A where I have a [start date] and an [end date] that gives me a [duration] in number (eg : 7 days)
I have a Table B where I list events with a [date] column
Note that Table A and Table B are linked with a [Patient] column

What I am trying to achieve is the following: When a user submit a form for Table A with n as a duration, I want to add n rows in the Table B with the date column incrementing itself adding +1 to the day of the [date] column until [End Date] from Table A is reached.

I am obviously open to changes in my data structure to make it work . I Have been searching for a while and couldnโ€™t manage to do itโ€ฆ
I hope I made myself clear as I am a non native english speaker.

Thanks you for your help.

Solved Solved
1 22 9,020
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Workflows can be used to loop for n number of days, when you have a table with all the possible dates (Table C). After user enters a start & end date - use a webhook workflow to run the Add action in Table B by selecting the dates in range from Table C.

1. Create a workflow for when a new row is added to Table A
  2. Go to Manage > Integrations & Enable โ€˜IN:from cloud services to your appโ€™ - Make not of the App ID - this needs to be chosen in the next step
  3. Add a new Workflow for โ€˜ADDS_ONLYโ€™ for Table A. Create a โ€˜Webhookโ€™ workflow action, with preset โ€˜Appsheet: Actionโ€™
    Body can be like this
{
  "Action": "Add",
  "Rows": [
<<Start:SELECT(Table C[Date],AND([Date] > [Start date], [Date] < [End date]))>>
    {
      "ID": "<<UNIQUEID()>>",
      "Date": "<<[Date]>>"
},
<<End>>
  ]
}

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Hi @Romagi! Welcome to the community!

I know how to add one row at a time but Iโ€™m not sure about how to add multiple rows. I assume you have seen this:

How many rows do you think you would need to add at once? In other words, if your duration is 00:05:20, how many rows would that be? If you could get by with just adding one row, that would be easier I think.

Thereโ€™s no loop action for n rows - you will need to create as many actions as the max number of rows you want to have.

Workflows can be used to loop for n number of days, when you have a table with all the possible dates (Table C). After user enters a start & end date - use a webhook workflow to run the Add action in Table B by selecting the dates in range from Table C.

1. Create a workflow for when a new row is added to Table A
  2. Go to Manage > Integrations & Enable โ€˜IN:from cloud services to your appโ€™ - Make not of the App ID - this needs to be chosen in the next step
  3. Add a new Workflow for โ€˜ADDS_ONLYโ€™ for Table A. Create a โ€˜Webhookโ€™ workflow action, with preset โ€˜Appsheet: Actionโ€™
    Body can be like this
{
<<Start:SELECT(Table C[Date],AND([Date] > [Start date], [Date] < [End date]))>>
    {
},
<<End>>
  ]
}

This solution requires a business subscription plan though.

No. Premium/Pro is enough.

Ok, thanks. For those looking for documentation about this, hereโ€™s the link https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/3454052-webhook-templates

Hello Sid, it worked perfectly ! Thank you very much + I needed a table with all the date so it is perfect !

Hello @Sid
May I ask why didnโ€™t you used AppSheet: Add row preset instead ot AppSheet: Action preset? Is there a specific reason for that? Asking this because, AppSheet: Action preset is mostly used for triggering a Behaviour action rather than adding rows.

Besides; I notice that the Properties key is missing in your JSON template and normally when run, AppSheet server should murmur about this indicating that the Properties is missing.

@LeventK
I guess you can skip one line ("Action": "Add") in the Body, if you use the โ€˜AppSheet: Add Rowโ€™. Iโ€™ve not tried that though. I donโ€™t know of a functional difference.

There are defaults for all properties, so no complaints from AppSheet servers. Left that out for brevity.

@Sid @LeventK @Kirk_Masden

Ok, Iโ€™ve been โ€œbiting my lipโ€ on this but Iโ€™ve chewed a hole and now have to ask!

If there is a table created to select a list of dates from, why not use these provided Actions below?

• โ€œExecute an Action on a set of rowsโ€ - the rows are the selected dates
  • โ€œAdd a row to another table using values from this rowโ€

I believe together they accomplish the goal with the added benefit that you can attach these actions as a group to the โ€œForm Savedโ€ property so that the user sees the new rows immediately on their device.

Using the Workflow, would require the user to perform a Sync to see the added rows which may not be ideal.

Am I missing something?

@WillowMobileSystems You are right. Using actions is better.

One additional thing the workflow offers is ability to insert data from Table A into Table B - which is not an ask here.

If you mean updating an existing row in Table B with info from a row in Table A. I totally agree! And i should check into handling it with a webhook myself!!

By the way, there is a Feature Request to add this Action take a look and vote it up! Itโ€™s near the top in votes as it is now.

Hello guys,

I get stuck enriching my feature based on your solution @Sid. What I want to achieve now is this : I want to add a row every day out of 2 between a [start date] and an [end date]. I partially managed to do this with the following fomula:

{
<<Start:SELECT(Table C[Date],AND([Date] >= [Start date], [Date] <= [End date], MOD((DAY([Date])-DAY([Start date])),2)=0)>>
    {
},
<<End>>
  ]
}

But when [Start date] and [End date] belong to a different months (eg : from 7/25/2020 to 8/5/2020), the formula doesnโ€™t work anymore as for instance MOD(DAY(โ€œ7/31/2020โ€) - DAY(โ€œ8/1/2020โ€), 2) = 0. The formula then adds a row for two consecutive days (the 31st of July and the 1st of August).

Any clue on how to add a row every 1 day out of 2 ? I couldnโ€™t figure it outโ€ฆ

If it interests other, I also apply the formula for a selection of weekday that the user select. For instance, add a new entry for every Monday and Wednesday of every date between a [Start date] and an [End date].

Thanks a lot,
Romain

Nice discussion.

Can someone please make a demo app so as to be able to look under the hood to see it function? Its a bit abstract to follow for those like me who have never used webhooks before.

I decided to suggest a new feature instead of this convoluted approach.

See this posting:

Good! That is exactly what we should do in the community. Find a need for some new feature and submit a request for it.

But also, at the same time, come up with or communicate a workaround to overcome the obstacles. Because it will likely take time to implement the requested features.

If you need such functionality. I wouldnโ€™t wait for AppSheet to implement it. It will be a while before they can roll it out.

I am careful in what I wish for. I would not want to ask for something too complex, like reusable components (I have but it sems to be forgotten), but this is rather small and achievable in a short time frame.

A side comment is that its hard to get mass support for new features if most users are not informed of them. (A bit like politics in the real worldโ€ฆ)

Is this demonstrated in via this wiki posting?

@Romagi For calculating the difference in days use this MOD(HOUR([End date] - [Start date])/24, 2 )

Thanks @Sid,

Here is how I managed to do it :

MOD(TOTALHOURS([Date] - [Date de dรฉbut])/24,2)=0

Hello. Iโ€™m trying to do something like the situation in this post.
I will like create several rows based on a number previously defined in another table.
I have table RUTINES in that table I save a number could be, for example 3, and I have another table called SESSIONS. I will like to create 3 new rows in SESSIONS table when I create a new row of RUTINES table.(Based on example of 3) The SESSION table will have information from ROUTINES table and own information. I tried to do following the answer of this post, but I couldnโ€™t. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Top Labels in this Space