Add some of the data collected to another table if "yes" is selected

ae_daniel
Participant III

Hi there guys, I think I am not in the right brain space to be working on this right now, but I really need something to present to my new interim director ASAP.

I am trying to replace our paper donation log with an app that collects all the information we normally collect from donors and then have to manually put into a spreadsheet. So but it also fills out an electronic donation receipt and emails it to the donor. Also it compiles historical donation values to be viewed in a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly chart. Well I have gotten it to do ALL of those things.

But Iโ€™m stuck on ONE more thing I want the app too do.
When a donor adds their email I want a check box row to appear asking if they would like to be added to our mailing list, well I have MOSTLY figured that out, except itโ€™s not a check box that appears, but a button with a โ€œyโ€ in it (which honestly doesnโ€™t seem to do anything and for the life of me I canโ€™t figure it out). Also the virtual column appears on the bottom of the form, which I can live with but it would be cool if I could get it to appear under the email column. Annnnyway I need for when the donor selects โ€œyesโ€ only their name and email is pulled and added to another sheet โ€œMailing listโ€, which is just a list of names and emails so I can use that to auto populate a slightly personalized email when sending out our newsletter.

And in the same ballpark, I need another check box that asked donors if they would like to receive emergency need text alerts, then if โ€œyesโ€ adds their name and phone number to another sheet for the text alerts.

Solved Solved
0 7 358
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

How is the action getting triggered? Youโ€™ll probably want to attach it as the Form Saved event action in the form viewโ€™s configuration:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ae_daniel
Participant III

I understand what I want to do now but still having trouble putting it in place, so

โ€˜If column response for [Add To Mailing List]= YES โ€”> add this entries value for [Name] and [Email] to another table โ€œNewsletterโ€โ€™

but I am unsure how to connect the the action to the form column T-T

EDIT

Oh and this might be pre-emptive but how do I make sure it only adds the current entries name and email to the other table?
I ran into this problem trying to make a workflow that only sends and email the most recent entry, will the formula I used for that workflow be necessary and work for this purpose as well?

LOOKUP( MAX( SELECT( Log[_ROWNUMBER], ([_THISROW].[Email] = [Email]) ) ), โ€œLogโ€, โ€œ_ROWNUMBERโ€, โ€œEmailโ€ )

Steve
Participant V

If you want the valuable to be changeable by the user, the column will need to be a regular column, not a virtual column. The Y button doesnโ€™t appear to do anything because itโ€™s not doing anything: as a virtual column, the user canโ€™t change its value.

Perhaps use an action of type Data: add a row to another table using values from this row?

I did it! Well part of it, I figured out the need for a physical column, but Iโ€™m having trouble with the second part.

in the action, how do I connect the โ€œtable to add toโ€ with the values from the other table? do I need a reference?

The expression here:

3X_c_f_cf330a389cb5113f0e23b7ebe23f48790ad4b74b.png

may use column values from the current row of this table:

3X_f_8_f82fb08f753027218e5b1fba867fed51b1cf04ae.png

But, if you need the user to provide additional information, you need to either collect that information in the original form, or use a different approach to adding the user to the mailing list (etc.).

You have no idea how much I appreciate your help! I feel like I am missing something insanely obvious hereโ€ฆ

So I have it so if [Newsletter]=TRUE (that they have selected โ€œyesโ€ to be added to the mailing list)
then that will initiate the action โ€œAdd to Mailing Listโ€, and thus take the values [Name] and [Email] entered into the donation log, and supposedly add them to a new row in the โ€œNewsletterโ€ table.

But it isnโ€™t producing the expected result T-T
3X_0_2_021ad2991a711eb18f219761754a49374e8decd0.png

lol or more accuratly No result

How is the action getting triggered? Youโ€™ll probably want to attach it as the Form Saved event action in the form viewโ€™s configuration:

ae_daniel
Participant III

O. M. G. You are my best friend right now!!!
Sure enough it didnโ€™t even occur to me that just saving the form (even with the โ€œifโ€ formulas fulfilled) would not trigger the action, I had to specify that I want that to happen. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Iโ€™m a social worker, I think of myself as computer savvy but the nuances of the requirements for program building often escape me

Anyway now this application is ready to present to my director and I am so excited!

Top Labels in this Space