Add toggle for hiding child records if there are no parent records selected in dynamic dashboard

Hello friends, i’d like AppSheet to add a toggle option for dashboards so that users will have to click a parent row in order to see their child records, right now if there are no rows selected for a parent record it simply displays ALL child records for all parent rows.

Why?

Because right now it is necessary to add extra information for each child record just in case the user has no row selected, so that he can identify to which parent row each child record belongs to.

This information is most likely already present in the parent record, data like location, client name, order number, etc. Not having to repeat these fields would free up precious column space and grouping fields.

Thank you for your consideration 3X_6_b_6b9086b0e71f49f9e997d7368b7ba66e84d46e20.gif

Status Open
6 7 301
7 Comments
MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

Austin
Gold 1
Gold 1

I have no votes remaining through the forum but this gets my vote. I find myself re-creating the interactive dashboard functionality in many cases where I need extra functionality such as the one in this post and it can be very annoying to do so when I only need the posted feature.

Metworks_IT

I agree, it would be very useful, it is a bit confusing for users. Currently I found a workaround, added a blank line on top, with one of the visible values saying “Please select a line”
So if no parent is selected, they just see that. It does take a while to set up though, and if you have slices you need to make sure that line is not filtered.

I’m voting for this!

HBT
Silver 4
Silver 4

Absolutely I agree. And plus one.

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

I agree. I wonder, though, do you think this request is basically the same as my request or is there a fundamental difference?

Happily, @praveen has indicated that this is on AppSheet’s list of things to do.

I think they are similar, but not the same, this request refers to the way child rows are filtered (or not) when using parent and child tables in a dynamic dashboard view, the toggle that i mentioned would be a simple button inside the UX configuration of the view that would switch between the default behaviour and the requested one.

So it IS a show/hide toggle, but it’s managed from the app editor, since it is a configuration setting for the whole view.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager