Adding new users to same version of app but with their own googlesheet

Hi,

I am getting ready to give my app to other users not in my organisation to test it out. The app has 37 tables with some data pre loaded. How do I give a new user access to the app but point it at a new googlesheet that only they are able to edit other than me. I can see how to copy the app with a new set of data but I want all users to be using the same version that I will modify and update with new versions over time.

I donโ€™t want to give them a private table as I want to have the ability to modify the columns/sort their data in bulk for them by going into their sheet. Iโ€™m expecting the app to be used by up to hundreds not thousands of users so was planning on having a file with a googlesheet for each organisation in it. At the moment I have lots of versions of my app that are pointing at the same googlesheet - Iโ€™m looking for the opposite - everyone using one version but with their own sheet.

Thanks

Phil

0 6 283
6 REPLIES 6

Hi Phil, it sounds that you are looking for a feature called โ€œData Partitionโ€. Please check this article that describes how to use it.

Hi Steve,

The main table in our set up that we use for our business has 20k rows and another 18k that will be added in time to cover all the outlets in the UK. I can allow some of the tables to be shared that have just one row per USEREMAIL() but order entry has about 6 for order, order details, cancelled orders, order exported to xero etc.

I just seems a lot cleaner have seperate workbooks for each business rather than have them all on the same sheets.

Phil

Hi,

What happens when googlesheets runs out of rows? If I have 200 businesses inputing orders that result in 100 order detail rows per day each that is 20,000 rows. With 21 columns that would be 420,000 cells and a quick search says that googlesheets allows 5 million cells and only 200 sheets per work book.

At that rate would I not run out of cells in just under 12 days? If I data partition the main table with all the pre loaded outlets but share all the other tables I would be limited to about 150 businesses in that google sheet.

Many thanks

Phil

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Eww. I suspect this will be a support nightmare over time. Why not shared tables with security filters?

If you have those 200 clients and you use data partitioning, you will have 100 records * 21 columns * 260 workdays = 550k cells per year in spreadsheet. Doable but you would need to take care of backups so the data amount donโ€™t go too big. If your data size is like that, I would propose to use SQL for the database instead of spreadsheet.

Hi Aleksi,

I think I have too many tables that canโ€™t be shared (at least not without a lot of work to make sure users have access to the correct info).

What if I have a new workbook for each customer each with 37 tables, none of which are shared. Then use data partitioning in each table to point the user at the correct workbook from one version of the app.

I realise that if I wanted to change the column structure I would have to do it to all workbooks and spreadsheets in one go but at least they would all be using the same version of the app. Each time I add a customer/user I have to create another workbook and adjust the expression in data partioning for each table to include the new user/domain name. I would only have to go through all the partioning of each table once when I set it up.

Does this make sense?

Thanks

Phil

Top Labels in this Space