Allow user input on virtual columns (trigger workflows without changing real data)

This is super important for many reasons:

• You can finally have workflows be triggered without having to actually change data.
    Right now we have to either edit a column and reset it back to it’s original value or add a separate column such as [trigger] to accomplish this. Both approaches are very dirty and unneccessary.
  • You can finally start to do magic such as converting a price float (2.10$) to integer cents (210), because you can use the virtual column for input and have an App formula on the real field that converts
Status Open
6 9 1,488
9 Comments
WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Because current Virtual Columns are re-calced on each Sync, I wonder if maybe a completely different kind of virtual column would be better - a non-calculated, in app only kind of virtual column meant only for temporary usage within the app session.

Jonathan_S

Yes Virtual Columns that are editable, but more or less used as internal variables. user controlled filters, user settings, etc. That way we dont need to have to create specific sheets to hold variables etc.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Move app formula into physical column.
Then update that field through workflow/action combination or action alone. Once this physical fields value change, then fire the action to do whatever we want.

Technially, we can do the same, i.e. the change in VC to fire the workflow/actions as we want.

jonas_dont

Sure, but this is super dirty in my opinion and creates trash information…

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

I’m super clean enough

Austin
Gold 1
Gold 1

ya, doesn’t seem necessary at all. Then virtual columns are just real columns? They’d be identical

jonas_dont

There is a tremendous difference between persisting data to the Database vs. just having an input field that you can use. Right now we are still forced to make physical changes to the database in order to trigger any Workflow. That does not always make sense.

For example:
You want to generate a report for something.
It is completely unnecessary to change data in this case. Just give me the report.

Daniel_Tanguay

Also, there are times that third parties are connected to the table and adding a column is not an option.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager