Alpha-numeric value

I’m using a ref table for a contact field. When I go to select the contact from the referenced menu, I select it (in this case the name of the contact) and all appears to be OK. However, when I then go look in the DB to see why another view has not updated with new information from the corresponding record I just entered, I see that it isn’t pulling that new/updated information because…instead of the referenced contact being listed which is the identifier for the subsequent view, it is reflecting an alpha-numeric value, e.g. B41701DB. So the other view doesn’t recognize that and the update isn’t made.

Any insight as to why it dispenses that alpha-numeric value even though I successfully found the contact in the referenced DB? Thank you!

0 2 225
  • UX
2 REPLIES 2

Subsequently, I’ve tried it from some other views…using the DB as ref for the contact selection and it’s inserting an alpha-numeric value.

What gives?

When using Ref columns, the key column value of the referenced row is what is saved (those alpha-numeric values), but the label column value is what is displayed. This is how Ref columns work.

See also:

Top Labels in this Space