Android Compatibility on barcodes

Hi Team,

I was trying to check the Barcode scanning feature on Appsheet and I observed that while scanning barcodes, iphone worked well, however I faced issue with the Android phone. The phone could scan the barcode however it could not upload it on the sheet. Is Appsheet barcode scanner compatible with Android phones?

0 13 377
  • UX
13 REPLIES 13

Can you elaborate?

Aslo, would it work if I buy the Premium or Business version of Appsheet?

I have asked you to elaborate and you ask me back to elaborate?? In which part of my reply have you got the intention that I have directly or indirectly expressed that โ€œyou would not be able to store the scanned barcode on the sheetโ€?

When you scan the barcode, what to do you expect to be recorded on the sheet? Barcodeโ€™s scanned text value or the barcodeโ€™s image itself? There is no limitation for any kind of mobile device and I donโ€™t think I understood your query here. Besides barcode scanning has nothing to do with the AppSheet subscription plan as itโ€™s a very very basic feature.

Ooops, my badโ€ฆ I think I read the wrong comment.
So basically, when I tried to scan a particular barcodeโ€ฆ I got the attached error. Which I did not get when I used an Apple phone.

In my app, I have created 2 primary view, one which scans the barcode and stores the barcode data and second which scans and add quantity to the previously scanned code (basically I am scanning the same product twice).
When I did the scan the first time, my data (scanned barcode no) was uploaded perfectly, however on the second scan I got this error.
Then I tried the same thing on IOS and it worked.

Do you have any kind of Valid_if expression on this scan column? What is your column structure details?

Hi,

No I donโ€™t have any such expression. Please find the attachment of the column structure for my first and second scan:

In your Purchases table, the Product Barcode is a REF column, possibly referencing your Products table and in that table Product Barcode is the key column. So when you scan a barcode from Purchases table, itโ€™s looking up that scanned code if itโ€™s existing as a key column value in Products table, therefore itโ€™s returning that error message.

Yes the barcode in the purchases tables refers to the barcode in products table.
Lets say for example I scanned a barcode first in products, the barcode details got saved in the sheet. Then when I scan the barcode on purchases table, it looks for the same barcode in the products table and I get an option to add x quantity of that product.

But whatโ€™s happening in my case is, when I use an android device to scan on the purchases table, I get the error I attached above.
However if I use the same barcode using an Apple phone, the data is updated and I dont get any error.

I donโ€™t believe this is an OS issue, but you can contact support@appsheet.com for further investigation.

Also symptoms show that the data in both devices might not be equal or identical. I may advise opening the app on both devices, kill both apps first, remove them from the background running, re-launch both apps and before doing anything explicitly sync both apps. After that try again. If the problem is persistent, your route is the support email I have given.

Thanks a lot! Will try that.

Youโ€™re very welcome.

Top Labels in this Space