App Version Expression/Function

Is there a function to get the current App Version number. Maybe I’m blind but I cant find one.

I would like to display the current running version on a custom start page (for support/audit purposes).

0 8 419
8 REPLIES 8

I’vre used this before in Apps to get similar data but I dont believe you can get the version number. Why do you want it?

CONCATENATE(
"AppName: ", 
CONTEXT("AppName"),
" Device:",
CONTEXT("Device"),
" Host:",
CONTEXT("Host")
)

Thanks.

I come from the enterprise world where every deployed application has a known/published version number. Only then can you be absolutely sure that what the user is running is what you deployed.

You can see the version number in the App, but you can’t get it via a formula

The user can See it exactly where when it is running?

Menu → About

For some reason in the worlds smallest font…

Why do you need the version number in the App?

Thanks. That is why I don’t use the about for important things , rather a custom start page which gives more control over visibility.

The user needs to be able to state the version they are using so that support can know exactly what they are running. Hiding something so important in small font on an About page just doesn’t cut it.

Surely this is even more important when as in Appsheet users may be running apps based on a mobile version which may well be out-of-date.

Here’s one of my posts with a question around how to the last time the user synced

One way around this I use is to document all the updates I’ve done in table called AppUpdates. Its a simple sheet with just [Date] and [Description] columns. Then I use this formula so that when they do something I can roughly work out the version they have

MAX(Select(AppUpdates[_RowNumber],TRUE))

Its not perfect, but I’ve not found a better way yet

Simon@1minManager.com

I see, that is helpful. But the issue is for the USER to know they are using the right version.

For instance the user just wasted a day testing an app with an old version … and it is not clear to me why this happened. This tester is trained to always check the version before they test so as not to waste their time if its not matching the one to be tested. With AppSheet they cannot do that unless we use the About which for some reason has minimal customization capability.

In our case we will not be using mobile apps, only web based and I just discovered that the Delayed Sync was ON and sync data at start was OFF… no idea why this has reverted.

This just wasted a day of the user testing with the wrong version of the App.

But then mistakes can be made which I why I still contend that the prominent publishing of a version number is important.

Anyway you have been very helpful and I suppose I can do a feature request.

Top Labels in this Space