AppSheet Acquired by Google Cloud

I’m pleased to announce that AppSheet has been acquired by Google and is joining the Google Cloud team. We are excited about this next step as we will be able to increase our customer focus and accelerate our core mission: to democratize app development enabling many more people like you to build apps without writing any code. And as always, the priorities of our team and Google Cloud remain customer-first.

Why does this acquisition feel like the right next step? First and foremost, we are philosophically and strategically aligned with Google Cloud in a shared commitment to a no-code platform. This acquisition will help even more companies and line of business employees easily create applications with our no-code platform. More importantly, you will be able to develop richer applications at scale that leverage the best of Google, from Android to Cloud AI and Google Analytics.

How does this impact you today? We will continue on in the same manner but with a bigger team and more resources:

• Our platform remains the same.
  • The AppSheet team remains the same and will continue to support you via our normal channels.
  • The AppSheet platform will continue to work cross-platform.

I want to thank you for embarking on this journey of app democratization with us, making AppSheet your platform of choice for app development. For more information, please see my post regarding this important next step in our shared journey!

Thank you,
Praveen

22 75 5,105
75 REPLIES 75

LeventK
Participant V

Dear @praveen
Congrats you and all AppSheet team on behalf of you. Long Live AppSheet!

Best news of 2020.

MultiTech
Participant V

Congratulations to you and the team!
This coming year should be a big one! Can’t wait to see how things progress.
2X_0_069e94c3b98441b6cd469b921fc25d2405d29581.gif

Congrats Praveen (and the entire AppSheet team)!!

Hope 2020 is a banner year for Developers and Users, especially small businesses, all over the world.

QREW_Cam
Participant V

Congrats! Can only imagine the great things over the horizon!

Congratulations all! This is very exciting news and we look forward to seeing what comes next!

tcanelli
Participant V

What does this really mean? When we renew this May is it with Appsheet or Google? Now I’m worried this will impact our procurement.

@tcanelli we will be part of Google. However, our team is moving to Google and the intent is to grow the service, broaden the feature set, and support all our existing customers. There is a strong commitment to continue to support a diverse set of data sources as we do today, and to make the transition as seamless as possible for all of you. On the technology side, the transition should be almost invisible. In terms of sales process, we’ll figure out how to ease into aligning with Google standards. In short Tammi, what doesn’t change is that we will remain focused on supporting you.

At what cost though? That is the question which hasn’t been answered in an significant way.

Francios
Participant III

Congrats looking forward to exciting times

ranorga
Participant V

Congratulations Praveen and the AppSheet Team!!! it’s excellent news!!!

Congratulations Praveen and team! Well-deserved. And I hope this has no impact on our app or terms…

Hi @Charlie_Wells the only intention is to have a positive impact — improve the platform.

Thanks and, once again, congratulations @praveen!

If you don’t mind could you write a bit about what your role is projected to be in the coming years? In other words, will you continue to lead and play a role similar to the one you have played thus far in making major policy decisions about the AppSheet platform? Since you’ve written that the AppSheet team will remain the same, I assume you will continue to be intimately involved. Still, I wonder if being “acquired” might not mean a significant change in governance.

Also, as a podcast fan, I’m really looking forward to hearing you be interviewed on How I Built This:

Please let us know when your turn to be on that show comes around.

Sounds great!

Sean_Lim
Participant V

Congrats! Please keep it real!

_Excelrati
Participant III

Congratulations to the whole Appsheet team!!!
This proves how great this platform is and its great potential.

I hope this will make Appsheet even greater

Congratulations!

I assume and hope that it will continue to be possible to build, share, and copy prototype apps on a free plan. I’ve put hundreds of hours into a project that is premised on the continued availability of this part of the AppSheet platform.

P.S. Praveen’s message says that the platform will remain the same. I hope this means that there will not be a major change in free access to the platform.

Scott_Hall
Participant V

Congrats to AppSheet founders and team. Enjoy the fruits…

Congrats Appsheet Team !
I have been using this platform since 2016 end. Hope it will continue to evolve in the same path and support not just enterprises but small firms with self service plans too.

Joe_Benson1
Participant II

Congratulations Praveen, well deserved. Hopefully AppSheet will keep improving in the same direction as it has been over the last few years and the essence of AppSheet will remain true to its origins. I will be interested to see if Google continues the development of advanced functionality or whether it attempts to ‘dumb down’ the app to make it more accessible. Hopefully it will continue to be relevant to a wide audience of developers from the most basic ‘no code’ users to the more sophisticated developer.

This seems to be the most detailed news article that is currently available on the web:

Congratulations to Praveen and the entire AppSheet team on this great news.

Congrat, Appsheet team. All the efforts are now paid off, I m so excited.

Hope tons of new features will be kept added on further and make Appsheet platform as more innovative tool. Also I am super happy to be as a member of community here.

Congratulation once again.

Koichi

Congratulations! and good luck

Congratulations Team! Clearly recognition of your uncompromising commitment of creating consistent client value and improvement!!

Congratulations Praveen & the entire team! Well-deserved success for the hardest working group of people I know! All the best!

Congrats Praveen and the hole Appsheet team!!!

Kent_Wu
Participant II

Well done. Look forward to better value for customers!

Congrats to the whole team! From the outside looking in, it seems like a great strategic move for moving the vision of AppSheet forward.

I’m really excited for what this could mean in terms of deeper integration with Google Software distribution methods: Becoming a core Gsuite Service, AppSheet Marketplace, etc. Here’s a video of some of my rough predictions for those who like to speculate.

You raise an interesting point about Go To Market esp. about inclusion of AppSheet in Gsuite - for appsheet partners and users who already have Gsuite, it would definitely be a welcome addition. However, this will involve major changes to the billing/invoicing/payment processing system that AppSheet already has in place and so I wouldn’t expect to see this for a couple of years. I believe that the strategy will be to market AppSheet as a separate service until such time as it gets more tightly integrated into other Google Cloud products such as GCalendar, Gmail, Gdrive, Gsheets, Gdocs etc. so that it can be bundled into Gsuite.

I think your timeline is a good estimation if a bundled Gsuite offering became part of the roadmap. I think it’s the ideal way to roll out the tool to a Gsuite company. I see the end goal for Google being to use AppSheet as an additional incentive for companies to further invest in Gsuite and Cloud services across their business. Product & Service modifications would probably steer that direction more and more as time goes on.

Listening to @Stefan_Quartemont’s discussion of the implications of thia acquisition reminded me of a problem I had in the past:

With the new commitment from Google Cloud to integrate its services with AppSheet, perhaps it will become possible to make a Google form part of an AppSheet app such that it can be copied with it, as is the Google sheet.

By the way, I have found this kind of linkage between a Google form, a Google spreadsheet and an AppSheet app to be very useful in my classes. The Google form interface is quite convenient for collecting responses to questions I pose in class and the AppSheet app, displayed in my browser, makes for much better classroom presentation than a Google spreadsheet can provide (graphs, text, etc.).

If this issue remains unresolved (I haven’t tested it lately), perhaps you can mention it to Google Cloud, @praveen, as one fairly simple way to improve integration.

Here’s a tidbit from TechCrunch:

Google announced today that it is buying AppSheet, an eight-year-old no-code mobile-application-building platform. The company had raised more than $17 million on a $60 million valuation, according to PitchBook data. The companies did not share the purchase price.

Once again, congratulations!!

ep_zagreb
Participant I

Congrats

Fantastic. Congratulations!

Any chance that AppSheet will become part of GSuite and thus part of GSuite licensing?

Thank you,
Max

Congratulations Appsheet!

Arizno
Participant III

Am I the only one that is a bit bummed about this. I have been using Google G-suite since it was on beta (Google Apps Suite). Great service, but you are pretty much on your own with Google. As for Appsheet, I have been completely taken back by the amount of customer service and help they provide. Questions get answered and people can find someone to help them on a whim. That is not a trait Google is known for. Are we going to be kissing that level of service good-bye?

Good point, @Arizno! I share your sentiments, both about AppSheet and Google Suite. I hope we can get some reassurance about this. With AppSheet, there are a handful of people (@praveen, etc.) that we know and, when they have time, will answer our questions and address our concerns directly. For me, the governance of Google Suite has been more of a black box – even though I like many aspects of the service, I don’t know who I’m dealing with. Even if AppSheet gets big (which, in many ways, will probably be a good thing for the strength of the platform) I hope the “small company” atmosphere can be maintained.