Appsheet mentor?

Hello AppSheet community! Just started my first app about an hour ago. I’m excited to have found a resource that seems up to handling the challenges of our project.

I spent about 20 min going through the questions here and am wondering if anyone with deep knowledge of the product would be willing to spend an hour or so doing a screenshare with me, paid of course, to help me get started.

To give you a general idea of what I’m working on, the basic premise is what we’re calling a “socially cohesive” learning environment, a distributed learning platform that can be utilized by anyone who has something to teach, whether it be in the world of fitness, coding, blackjack, juggling, music, etc etc. The platform serves to connect students with each other and with teachers by tracking user inputs against their goals and making the success and failure of those efforts transparent to the rest of the group in the form of leaderboards, demonstration of progress, some gamification, etc.

We have a Master Sheet that houses all user info, including all user goal info and all data entry, a separate User Data Sheet for each user that compiles each individual user’s data from the Master Sheet into presentation-ready datasets, and finally an associated User Dash Sheet for each user that presents the data in an organized, prioritized, digestible format.

As it stands, all user data is entered manually by yours truly into the Master Data Sheet, and each user logs into their own personal User Dash Sheet published to the web. This keeps everything super clean and allows us to create personalized dashboards for each user.

I discovered AppSheet while looking to create an app that can handle user data entry so I don’t have to do it manually. Since seeing what AppSheet has to offer, however, I’m wondering whether I can do more, and also whether the way I have things organized currently needs to be restructured.

My questions for you will include the following, as well as the follow-up, “…and if so, how?”

-Can the user authentication process at login filter the view in, for example, a Master Goal tab that houses goals for multiple users, such that the user only sees his or her own info?

-Can the user be presented with a selection of their own personal goals to select from and then enter the requisite info for each (check box, total time, number of reps, etc)? This will require different text/number/boolean fields for different goal types.

-Can said personal goal selection have pre-set values, say 30min, which the user can either leave as is or edit to a different value?

-Can the app pull from multiple separate sheets, say from the Master sheet and User Dash sheet?

-Very excited to see both SMS and push notification capabilities in Workflows and Reports, would like to find someone with at least a basic understanding of how these work.

I learn so much faster when someone walks me through things in the very beginning, plus I’ve got two little kids to juggle so my time is limited. Happy to pay a fair price for your expertise. I’ve used Codementor.io on several occasions and would suggest their format- I pay you some portion up front, say 30 min worth, via paypal, venmo, etc, you charge me per additional 15 min to be paid immediately upon completion of our session.

Hope this finds the right person! Feel free to reach out to me directly at pdj2110@tc.columbia.edu. If you wouldn’t mind, please include just a few sentences outlining your experience with AppSheet.

Many thanks!

1 1 227
1 REPLY 1

Hi @Paul_Janson, welcome to the AppSheet Creator Community!

Your use case sounds really interesting and I hope you’re able to find a mentor. In the meantime, if you’re just getting started with AppSheet I have a few resources that you might find useful:

To start answering some of your specific questions (inline below),

• Can the user authentication process at login filter the view in, for example, a Master Goal tab that houses goals for multiple users, such that the user only sees his or her own info?
    • Yes! After users have logged in and authenticated, you can use built-in functions like userrole() and useremail() to set up security filters and control what data users see, what actions they are authorized to do, and more. A great place to start learning about this would be the Limiting Users to their own data docs. There’s a 1-hour Webinar video at the bottom that walks you through how this all works.

• Can the user be presented with a selection of their own personal goals to select from and then enter the requisite info for each (check box, total time, number of reps, etc)? This will require different text/number/boolean fields for different goal types.
  • Can said personal goal selection have pre-set values, say 30min, which the user can either leave as is or edit to a different value?
    • Yes! You can pre-set values by setting the “initial value” for a column or formula. You can see more detail on how to set up a column with an initial value here and how to dynamically assign initial values] here.

• Can the app pull from multiple separate sheets, say from the Master sheet and User Dash sheet?
  • Very excited to see both SMS and push notification capabilities in Workflows and Reports, would like to find someone with at least a basic understanding of how these work
    • In case you’re interested in getting started on your own, the Workflow section section has some articles to get you started.

I know that’s a lot of documentation, but hopefully it’s a good starting point while you search for a mentor. I’d also recommend you take advantage of our weekly Webinars and Office Hours - they’re a great place to learn and get real time answers.

Best of luck on your application and I hope you find the AppSheet Creator Community a useful place!

Best,

Ben

Top Labels in this Space