Appsheet pulls Notes from Google Sheets header

loudboy
Participant I

I added a note to a Google Sheet header that I was using for a column in my app. Instead of pulling just the column name (Price) it pulled the whole note paragraph meant as a reminder to myself. Not ideal or intentional, I imagine.

0 4 663
4 REPLIES 4

That is by deign. See topic " Regenerating apps build from a Google Forms" in this article https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/1156131-how-to-add-remove-or-rearrange-columns

The Google Sheet plugin puts notes in the Google Sheets header cells to relay information to AppSheet about the type and contents of the worksheet columns.

loudboy
Participant I

dang. I guess it was pretty arrogant of my to assume that a feature I didnt understand was a bug. Definitely time to go to bed. Thanks for the help

It is a feature, but a very obscure one.We needed a way to transmit information from the Google Sheets plug-in to AppSheet when doing type inference when creating the AppSheet app. Using the comments to do that is a bit kludgy but it was the best mechanism we could devise.

loudboy
Participant I

UX>Views has a โ€œDocumentationโ€ section; a Documentation section in Data>Tables populated with column notes would work.

I guess it depends on how different users apply notes in their spreadsheet though.

Top Labels in this Space