Appsheet to DigitalOcean

How can we connect from Appsheet to Digital Ocean postgres database ?

0 9 582
  • UX
9 REPLIES 9

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Hi, I've done everything suggested in that article, including adding every single appsheet IP address to the trusted user list, and I'm still getting a timeout error. I'm really not sure what else to try here. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edit: I kinda suspect that it's because the port number digitalocean uses is not 5432, but I tried adding the port at the end like I would with the connection string and it couldn't find the database at all when I did that.

I'm having the same issue.  I reached out to appsheet support who said that it's likely because I need an SSL certificate, however, I have an SSL certificate and have not been able to connect at all.  At this point, I think it's safe to say that Appsheet cannot connect to DigitalOcean Postgres instances.

As a side note, I have successfully connected with an Amazon RDS instance without using SSL, so it is possible to connect postgres just not with digitalocean which requires SSL.

I think so too. On other platforms where I can connect to it I have the option of choosing the port, and here you cannot, so I think it must only connect to postgres databases that use the default port.

You can add the port in the host field.  i.e. if your host address is:

foo--user-0002424-1.b.db.ondigitalocean.com

enter it as:

foo--user-0002424-1.b.db.ondigitalocean.com:25060

Now when you try it you'll see a new error message "Error Failed to establish connection. (postgres): The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure."

@tunasammich I finally got it to work. 

Instead of entering the host address i.e. foo--user-0002424-1.b.db.ondigitalocean.com, use the IP address.   If you don't know your host's IP you can get it from your local cli. i.e. if you're on a mac, open up terminal and enter:

ping foo--user-0002424-1.b.db.ondigitalocean.com

You'll see the ip address come up.  Enter that into the Server field followed by a colon followed by the port number 25060. 

i.e. if your server's IP address is 12.34.567.899, enter 12.34.567.899:25060. 

Hit test and it should work.

Good news for you.

SSL haven't worked on my side ever

I know it's been forever since I responded to this because I kinda gave up and thought I might just use AWS if I was going to go with appsheet---but I am loathe to try this because I'm fairly certain that digitalocean gives you a leased IP and not static IP. It might persist for a long time, or until you destroy the droplet, but I'm just worried it will cause a headache in the future. I just wish there was a way to enter a different port number with the actual host address

Top Labels in this Space