Attaching multiple files to a record : I am t...

Attaching multiple files to a record : I am trying to build a travel app. I have one row for my flight and have 8 travelers. Just checked them all in and wanted to attach

all 8 boarding passes pdf to that record. It seems only 1 file is allowed to be attached to a record. Is there any other way to build this use case except having to build 8 different records.?

1 12 1,828
12 REPLIES 12

This sounds odd. Why couldnโ€™t you have eight different columns and one file in each?

tony1

@Vishal_Dhingra You could have a single โ€œparentโ€ record for the trip, which as a collection of โ€œchildโ€ records. You could then send multiple pdfs based on each of the related child records.

@Vishal_Dhingra

Try running your app in the Browser version on your Andriod phone and see if you can open your files that way.

Iโ€™ve seen a couple things work differently/better in the Browser on my phone.

Might seem like a hassle, or maybe itโ€™s easier to make a shortcut right to the Browser View that you need most if it will work like you want.

@Stephen_Mattison Because you never know how many attachments you might need for each record.

Thanks @tony but it is additional management of table/columns for managing just attachments. However, this seems to be a logical step if no other option is available.

@Vishal_Dhingra

Oh, OK.

The way you explained it, it sounded that you only had 8 boarding passes or โ€œfilesโ€ that you needed to track.

If youโ€™ll have several files/passes for each traveler, maybe for a multi-stop trip, then yes, youโ€™ll need to use the Parent-Child setup.

If youโ€™re just getting into this you should check out the Order Capture Appsheet Sample App, or maybe better for your App the Trip Log Example App.

Dear @Stephen_Mattison Can you point me to the trip log example app. I am unable to find it in the sample apps. Thanks,

@Vishal_Dhingra

Here Ya go! This is my copy, make a copy of it for yourself. appsheet.com - Build Powerful Mobile Apps from Spreadsheets Build Powerful Mobile Apps from Spreadsheets appsheet.com

@Stephen_Mattison Thanks for sharing. Appreciate it.

@Vishal_Dhingra YVW!

Please add a nice Profile Image so we know that you are not a Robot, TY!

HAHA jk,nr

@Vishal_Dhingra

Iโ€™ve been planning a travel app of my own, would love to hear more about what you come up with!

TY & Good Luck!

@Stephen_Mattison@tony As an alternative for now I have zipped all the files and attached the one single zip file to the record. unfortunately, I am unable to open the zip file in android phone. However, if I connect from laptop, then the zip file is downloaded and I can extract the data. I guess the app is not identifying the zip file as it gives an extension of .jpg to the file.

I know itโ€™s an old topic.
But wouldnโ€™t be great if user can multi-select files for upload, then they all get uploaded in the specified folder.

The filed would then be a link to that folder where the users only have read only access.
Just thinking out loud.

Top Labels in this Space