Attachment Name In the workflow rule I creat...

Attachment Name

In the workflow rule I create a PDF and the Attachment Name via a formula that concatenates some columns. In some of them are characters that we cannot use for filenames. I now use SUBSTITUTE like:

<<SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(CONCATENATE([Column1] , [Column2])

, “/” , “") , ‘"’ , "”)>>

to substitute / and ".

Could AppSheet do that automatically for us? While creating a PDF it should substitute all the forbidden characters: ? * < > . , \ + : = / " ; [ ] |

1 8 540
8 REPLIES 8

Hello @Fabian

The best place for feature requests is appsheet.com - Login - AppSheet

That gives us a way to track the number of requests, and lets everyone see all requests as an ordered list. Login - AppSheet appsheet.com

@Fabian

I implemented this feature this afternoon.

If testing goes well, the change will be released on Monday (11/26/2018) afternoon Seattle time.

Hi @Phil
This seems to happen again. When I have a column that contains a “/” sign, then the PDF output will be placed in a new created folder.

So if my “File Name Prefix” is [Name] and the value in the [Name] column is “Peter/Paul”, it will create a new folder called “Peter”, and in this folder, it will create the file “Paul.pdf”.

AppSheet automatically substitutes stuff like quotation marks and hashtags into “-”. But this is not happening with “/”.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh You are awsome. Thank you.

Making that change would break other users who depend on that behavior.

OK no Problem @Phil. So I will continue using SUBSTUTITE() to get rid of the “/”.

Yes, please keep doing that.

@Phil On the other hand: Everyone should be aware about that: Using a column to construct the “File Name Prefix” has the potential to create an undesired folder structure. So it would be necessary to avoid “/” in that column, for example via valid_if.
Because this behavior is not something a No-Code-Developer would expect.
So my suggestion for AppSheet would be:
Respect the “/” if we put it in the “File Name Prefix”.
Ignore the “/” when it comes from a column.

Top Labels in this Space