Automatic updates in real time

Automatic updates in real time is absolutely necessary. Please do something for this!

Status Under Review
43 27 2,853
27 Comments
Aleksi
Staff

Would you please open your request little deeper. For example what do you mean by “real time” in this case.

Horea_Mihaltan

Now, Automatic update is made at 30 minutes but it’s a very long interval. I would need to set a shorter time. Ideally it would be that Automatic update be made in real time.

Aleksi
Staff

Thanks for this clarification

Horea_Mihaltan

Do you think that feature request can be solved in the near future?

Aleksi
Staff

We have discussed about this feature like reducing minutes step by step but we haven’t done that yet.

gioKelly
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Hi @Aleksi,

I know this is an older and maybe redundant topic, but, is there an option to retrieve updates from users maybe like using Zapier that for instance allows you to integrate Slack to send it updates everytime a record is added from AppSheet…

Is there a way not to reduce interval sync less than 30 min. but to make something similar to retrieve data in real time only when changes occurs from other users?

Aleksi
Staff

@Geovany_Kelly I’m afraid there is no way to reduce the interval sync than manual sync or like sync on start… as far as I know.

gioKelly
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

oh well, thanks @Aleksi!

Fabian_Weller
Gold 1
Gold 1

Here is one workaround:

Stefan_QREW
Silver 3
Silver 3

Being able to see updates from other app users in Real-time would be a game-changing feature.

This would improve or enable a variety of use cases:

• dispatching app responsiveness
  • In-app messaging / team communication
  • Logistics / Fulfilment type applications
  • real-time feeds from data added through the AppSheet API

Pain-points that would be mitigated include:

• Two users overwriting data when both are “online” (Which is most of the time for most apps)
  • Seeing stale data in your app

This behavior is an expectation that many users of AppSheet expect by default and have to treat browser-based AppSheet apps with caveats that the common SaaS apps dont have (Gmail, Sheets, Docs, Slides, Etc.).

@Jake_Naude @Grant_Stead @MultiTech_Visions @tsuji_koichi @Suvrutt_Gurjar what are your thoughts on this?

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

Absolutely agree on this, one of the main things that I hear from people that use Google sheets is that they love the fact that they can see changes on the fly.

Being able to see updates live like that inside of an app sheet app??? Yes please!

Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

A large enterprise client of ours literally just asked me today about increasing the refresh/background updates… It would be awesome if we could improve and control this… Even if it was underground, difficult to get to, etc.

I know we need to control it so that battery, etc. Doesn’t go crazy, but if the app is up, and connected to internet. Let’s go!

Fabian_Weller
Gold 1
Gold 1

Well that’s what Google is showing in the new Google Workspace promotion: Working live with team members.

b_gorsky1
Silver 2
Silver 2

Honestly, I’m surprised that such an advanced application doesn’t offer this. It is puzzling to me. This should definitely be at the top of the list of things to do if AppSheet wants to stay competitive.

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

@Brian_Gorsky this feature has been discussed at great length before.

The primary reason why this isn’t a thing in AppSheet is due to the fact that AppSheet is built around people being on AND offline while using the app.

I’m sure you can imagine the headache of trying to design a system that works, perfectly in order to preserve your data, that works both online and off - and can integrate the two seamlessly.