Automatically capture GPS Coordinates to map User location and routes

I know this functionality is being looked at and possibly developed. I thought I would illustrate my current needs just to make sure it is considered with current ongoing development. I suspect, however, this is a very common request and already on the development list. Regardless, I’ll write it here just in case it sparks thought.

For several apps, currently being written and those I will create soon, I need the capability to capture TWO columns of data

1. the USER location on an automatic basis to be able to visualize the User’s Last Known Location (LKL). I emphasize USER location because this is not by device as several users could log into a single device OR a user could log into multiple devices.
  2. The Timestamp of when the LKL was captured.

I am attempting to do this with current functionality now, But as you can imagine, it is very tedious.

My vision is to have dedicated column types, like ChangeLocation and ChangeTimeStamp, designed to capture GPS coords and the time updated AUTOMATICALLY - maybe AutoLocation and AutoLocationTime.

BUT, I would need to be able to add a condition to capture and write for ONLY the logged in user. Maybe use an expression such as “USEREMAIL() = [Login Email]” on the column. This way the info is written only for the user currently active on the device.

With the above feature, I can provide a map of users LKL’s.

Additionally, I can create a Workflow that writes to a history table the captured locations to help create a route - either in a table view list style or visual on a map.

So, with a list of captured locations (ordered by time captured), I would then want the capability to draw out the route and overlay onto a map or associated satellite image. I can also see where direction of travel might become ambiguous after the fact. So directional arrows might be needed.

No biggie…right? You guys can have this implemented in no time!

Status Open
5 6 1,138
6 Comments
TDhers
Participant V

Thank you John for writing your scenario with such detail.
It is very useful as we were currently making some assumptions that had some slight variations with what you describe above.
At what frequency would you expect/need the user GPS location to be recorded at a minimum? Is every 5 minutes OK? or would you really need something more frequent?
As you might imagine, the challenge with real time update is that we have to create a new mechanism that bypasses our current Sync infrastructure and we need to consider running into scale challenges as well.
Thierry

WillowMobileSys
Participant V

Real-time implies that location can be SEEN instantaneously. I’m not sure that is really what is needed.

I think most developers need to capture the location frequently in order to get accurate route indicators. But there are probably not many users who expect to actively “watch” routes as they develop. The updates of the locations can happen less frequent

In other words, different frequencies for Capture vs Syncing.

With that in mind, I would think capturing at least once a minute is needed at a minimum when considering route mapping capabilities. For some businesses, where routing is critical (delivery comes to mind), may need more frequent capture to use in analysis of efficiency - especially in the cities.

The capability to VIEW the captured locations is probably needed a lot less frequent, so once every 5 minutes, I think would be very acceptable for most business users.

What I am thinking is:

1. Capture the locations frequently, maybe once a minute or even more frequent.
  2. Bundle those captured locations together. Maybe just a list of row updates.
  3. Send the bundle to the server less frequently, maybe once every 5 minutes.

Maybe it turns out that sending of the bundle can fit into the same Sync infrastructure!!?!!

GreenFlux
Participant V

What about capturing based on a distance interval instead of time?

Would it be possible for the device to internally monitor the location for changes, and only trigger sending data to the server every X-miles, with X being user define?

Perhaps that would reduce load for scaling when users are not moving (stuck in traffic, out of range in a bldg, etc), but still need the app running.

TDhers
Participant V

Thank you for your suggestion.
We are actually looking into this type of scenario. Stay tuned.
Adding @Farzad for visibility into our scenarios.
Thierry

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager