Automatically open pdf in workflow

Chinh

hi,
I’m new with Appsheet and hoping for some pointers please.
I’m trying to print out receipts for my service order app. I’m aware that it takes some work around to print in Appsheet. So this is what i’ve got so far after gathering pieces from different helpful threads here.

1. I created an action column in my sheet > then created an action to change the value of that column > which in turn triggers a workflow (based on the value update of that column) to create a pdf file based on a google doc template.
  2. Then I had to create another separate action to open that pdf file in a browser,
  3. Then print it from there.
    Everything went smoothly, and I was able to print.

However I was wondering if there’s a better/more streamline method to combine step 1 and 2 into just 1 action & 1 workflow (instead of in my case having to click on action 1, wait 30 seconds, then click action 2, before clicking print from the browser.)
Perhaps, is there a way to trigger opening of a file as one of the steps inside my workflow? I saw some advanced threads about using google app script and deep links to achieve similar tasks via the webhook route. But I’m not quite sure that’s the only possible route to achieve my goal…
Hope my question make sense & thank you all in advance.

1 5 732
5 REPLIES 5

I have the same question, does anybody have any idea on this ? 

If you can skip step 2, you can create an action to send the pdf file by email directly to the printer; all major printer brands today have this facility for almost all printer models. 

Thanks Joseph,

This is good for printing need !

You can't open a file directly like if it's generated on real time when you tap/click it and then it opens.

The best option would be (IMO):

1. Action that adds a new row to a child table and forces sync
  2. Child record has a file column with a known unique name made via Initial Value
  3. Bot that creates a pdf when there is an add to the child table, the file name should be taken from the file column of step 2

With this you would have a row that has the file just created. From there you can open directly.

A quick search through the community will show you posts about this

Thanks  to you, now I know the force sync by adding the

& "&at=" & (NOW() + 1)

to LINKTOROW() or LINKTOVIEW()

Top Labels in this Space