AWS Cognito Localization

As we know, we cannot translate the login message. Here is tha last statement from AWS. The only thing I found where 2 posts here.
But I could not get it work.
Does anybody know a workaround?

@Praveen could we translate the Sign-in-Box?
2X_a_af6ade429dc298d1e55ca8ae86749b48ef09f809.jpeg
And instead of “AWS Cognito” could we use the name of the Auth Domain?
Could we use even our own logo instead of the AWS logo?

3 23 2,231
23 REPLIES 23

Can we get rid of the ID above the Useremail?
2X_c_cc8289c14b010893008dd1e22198984d46b3351c.jpeg

Just for me, Morgan added an option to hide the useremail and username from the menu. There is now a toggle… Also, @praveen is looking to help us out with some Cognito love

Also, something which is a huge pain that you need to consider, the username/email login is case sensitive… Killing my users… (We’re forcing the emails on signup to be lowercase, and then telling the users to sign-in using all lowercase, but it’s patchy at best…)

On my radar (thanks Grant and sorry for the slow response). Investigating to see what is possible.

I really appreciate it. Thanks man!

LeventK
Participant V

Chiming in @Grant_Stead as he is using Cognito too

@Grant_Stead the news isn’t very good wrt case-insensitive emails. See https://forums.aws.amazon.com/message.jspa?messageID=788633
It looks like there may be a lambda function that could be used to mitigate some of the behaviors. I’m wondering if we (AppSheet) should set up this lambda function for you or any of our customers to use. Would you find that useful?

@praveen
That could be awesome provided AppSheet can make its own lambda function

I’ll have to take a real good look at that. We’ve been playing with it, and haven’t had any success with lambda… @Stefan_Quartemont was saying that the sequence is, AWA checks to see if the user is in the pool, then pre authentication triggers run. So lambda won’t run to force lowercase on the fly… So it would have to be something application side before it sends to AWS… Or even a validation message that doesn’t except it would fine… “Username must be all lowercase.” But yeah, it’s a bummer… Also having to click the “AWS Cognito” layer when nothing else is present is strange for the users…

“Also having to click the “AWS Cognito” layer when nothing else is present is strange for the users…”

We can do something about this. And also @Fabian 's original request at the top of this thread.

@praveen That would be awesome!

I’m adding the ability to have every app define a DisplayName for its domain auth source. So that would be shown instead of “AWS Cognito”.

Upon some further thought, I’m not sure we would remove the initial Login screen by default. The reason is the privacy policy and terms of use. These are required for GDPR, for example, and in general are good practice for any app signin.
In any case, signin happens relatively rarely because we remember that the user is signed in.

Does this sound reasonable or am I missing a significant pain point?

That Display Name feature for Cognito is an awesome progress @praveen, TY!!

Very cool. I think that’s a great option.

Thanks!!

I guess mine is just going to say “CLICK HERE to sign-in”
It just feels redundant when there’s only one auth option… But the display name change will help us indicate that they need to click it and continue… (I literally had this guy bill call me to ask what he was supposed to do next, and I said “Click the AWS Cognito button” and he was like ohhhh ok…)

That would be fantastic @praveen especially for those who cannot read English like some of my users.
Could you please also take a look at the links in my original post about translating the AWS Cognito signing? There was one guy who was able to do it via css into the customization boxes in the Cognito interface . But I was not able to reproduce it.

@praveen @Grant_Stead

Per the AWS forum, this comment is exactly where my team has been getting stuck:

When it can’t find the user (because of an upper-case character), it displays “User does not exist” to the user before even calling my lambda

We get that error when trying to correct the case with a Pre-Authentication trigger.

It seems like one person got some kind of fix with a Pre-Authentication trigger but I have not been able to reproduce.

Seems like the suggested course of action is setting up custom UI instead of using the Cognito UI.

Hmm, that’s interesting. I had not realized it wasn’t obvious that it should be clicked. We can do something about that perhaps from a UI perspective.

Ok, the DisplayName option will be part of the Domain Auth section of the app editor after we deploy on Monday. I’m also looking at whether we can customize the prvacy policy and terms of use at the same time.

Awesome! Appreciate you working to clean this part up for us Appsheet junkies!

@praveen this works fantastic!
Thank you!

@praveen Could we enter expressions in the “Authentication display name”? So we could add translation.

Resurrecting this dead topic.

Any possibility of skipping the initial login screen and pre-selecting an option? If we are using Cognito, could we not add the privacy policy and terms of use to the Cognito login screen?

Top Labels in this Space