Balanced parentheses

Hi All

I have been developing an app that uses several date and other functions (often nested). One thing I have struggled with is balancing my parentheses. I come from a programming background but have never developed a good strategy for formatting and matching parentheses. Does anyone have a format that they could recommend or point me to a good parentheses checker (matcher) that I could utilize?

Thanks for all comments

1 11 814
11 REPLIES 11

Bahbus

If the expression is getting really complicated, I start treating them like curly brackets in Java.

LEN(
  INDEX(
    SPLIT("abcde", "c"),
  )
)

Thanks Dave. Similar style to my own,

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

This is sweet! Thanks so much for this Steve.

Hi @Glenn_Thorne! The Chrome extension that @Steve introduced is quite useful. In addition, you may find that some text editors can be quite helpful. Weโ€™ve discussed text editors for Windows and Macs here:

By the way, @Glenn_Thorne, the reason I like a good editor is that it will show me what each parenthesis is paired with. All I have to do it put my cursor by one of them. This is very useful to me when I debug.

Silly questionโ€ฆ can notepad++ work inside a formula window in the Appsheet editor or would I need to open the notepad++ editor externally and cut and paste?

For editing within the AppSheet editor, I think you need the Chrome extension that Steve mentioned.

No.

Yes.

Whenever you open a parenthesis, always close it immediately, and then fill inside.

This is what I do.

Top Labels in this Space