Barcode reading issue

Hi, as part of a work order app we are using barcode scanning to pull parts to add to a work order. We are using code 39 barcodes. In the app, we have a service ticket table with a parts used column that’s referencing a parts spreadsheet. I’ve set all pertinent columns to be scannable and I’ve set the “product barcode” column in the parts sheet as the key column. I’ve verified the output of the barcode is correctly entered into each spreadsheet row using a standalone barcode scanner to output directly to the spreadsheet cell. Once everything is updated, the mobile phone scanner spits out “The scan result didn’t match any known entries.” Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the assistance!

What happens if you try to fill the same value manually?

Hi Alexi, thanks for the reply! It appears to be the same either way.

Okay… so then the reason is not the barcode reading itself. It has to be something in your app structure.

Hi Aleksi, I can’t figure this out! I’ll tell you how I have it structured. I have a Service Tickets table with a Parts Used column. It’s a ref column that references a Parts table. It’s set to scannable. The Parts table has a Product Barcode text column that is the key column. This references my Google Sheet where the product barcode text output is stored. No matter what I do, I can’t get the app on my phone to recognize the barcode as being connected to data in the app. If it matters, I’m in prototype mode right now. Any directions you could give would be very much appreciated!

Is it possible that your barcode value is the label column’s value and not the key column’s value and that’s why it won’t accept it?

Hi Aleksi, I have it as the key value in the Parts table but not the Service Tickets table.

Also, any chance the app doesn’t like blank spaces. If it take another barcode reader, and scan my test code it outputs 00 ABC-1234.

Spaces are likely to be significant. If the scanner includes the space, the space should also occur in the column value of a matching row.

@Wallace_Service Is it okay if I check your app? For that I would need to know your account ID number, app name, table and column name. Thanks

Hi Aleksi, definitely. Account ID is 831877, app name is Gate service, tables are Service Tickets with columns First part used, Second part used and Third part used and Parts with column Product Barcode. Thanks in advance!

Hi @Aleksi, definitely. Account ID is 831877, app name is Gate service, tables are Service Tickets with columns First part used, Second part used and Third part used and Parts with column Product Barcode. Thanks in advance!

Thanks, I will check your app later today.

Are you able to give me one barcode value that it’s not working.

Hi @Aleksi, 00 ABC-1234 is a barcode value tied to part number MA-1031.0321 for test purposes. Code 39 format. If I use a handheld barcode reader, the value 00 ABC-1234 is what is output to the spreadsheet. I’ve tried to type in by hand as well but no change.

Hi @Wallace_Service and sorry about the delay. Are you able to add some records that are assiged to my email address so the security filter won’t filter all data away. Please use aleksi@appsheet.com

Hi @Aleksi, no worries at all. I’ve added a couple of records for you. I’ve put in 3 parts with confirmed barcode values that work fine with an external barcode scanner. I’ve set the Parts table with Product Barcode as the Key so you’ll only see the 3 I set up.

Hi @Aleksi, good news, got this figured out! I built a simple test app separate from my service ticket app. Turns out the barcode scanner I am using is outputting slightly different than the app scanner. Not totally sure why but good enough to get the problem fixed. Thanks again for the help and guidance with this one!

1 Like

Good to hear that! I was just trying to check your app but now I have time to investigate something else :slight_smile: