Barcode Scanner action

Can I create an Action or behaviour to invoke the barcode scanner so it behaves like a supermarket checkout, I have a need to reduce workflow for goods inwards. Typically the workflow would be to scan code then increment that item by one with each pass of the scanner.

Thanks for reading

0 7 2,599
7 REPLIES 7

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Create a slice with only the barcode column, the key column (if different), and the _ROWNUMBER column (required for every slice). If the key column is not the barcode column, set Show? to OFF in its column configuration. Attach a form view to the slice. Configure the form view with Auto save set to ON and Auto re-open set to ON.

Hi there, thanks for your reply. What you suggest works but it only adds a line it does not increment the quantity

thanks

For that, youโ€™ll need to use an action:

Iโ€™m working on an action right now, I have chosen โ€œset the value of some column in this rowโ€ from the drop down and the expression looks like this ([Quantity] + 1), which works well in and of itโ€™s self but has no effect when called from the form that was generated from the slice?

cheers

@App_Dev Did you update the Form Saved property int he UX view of the Form? You can attach your action there so that when the Form saves it ALSO will execute your action.

Youโ€™ll find it in the Behavior section of the Form view definition.

If the Form is not one you created specifically, then it is a system generated form and you can STILL update the Form Saved property. To know which form, look at the bottom left corner of the emulator to what View is being used.

2X_a_aafde2c388979b93857829c22dd7a2ebe37221dc.png

You can open the system generated views in the UX tab by scrolling all the way to the bottom and clicking on the โ€œShow system viewsโ€ link.

2X_8_8f4fb82c20dd091bc7dd64fbd8e5523045f8ce60.png

Now, search for the View you identified above and update its Form Saved property.

Hi John, Thanks for you reply. Seems that the default behavior of the Form view is to ADD a new line item, What Iโ€™m trying to do is UPDATE an existing line item by waving the phoneโ€™s built in scanner at the barcode, the action would then update the quantity. With that said Iโ€™m picking form view is not best choice in this scenario?

I can achieve this using VB.NET using a textbox and a regular industrial scanner very easily and Iโ€™m not a real developer by any means, just saying.

So far Iโ€™ve got it down to about three taps on the screen to update a line item as follows:

1. Using a table view, open scanner and read code.
  2. tap relevant line which is configured to fire action, โ€œIncrement quantityโ€

Ideally, reduce steps by having the scanner auto open after saving ready for next item.

Iโ€™ve attached a couple of images outlining the work flow for clarity.

Thanks for reading

So I have not implemented such features. I do know that Forms have Auto-Save and Auto-Reopen properties and there is an Auto-Advance function. Auto-Advance will open the first required field on the Form when the Form loads. For example, I have it set and it will open my Customer dropdown list when the Form loads.

So I think you can create a Form, that when it opens it Auto-Advances to your Barcode scanner - opening the scanner on your device. When you scan, the Form can then display product information (if you want) AND increment the count automatically. If all other fields are made read-only, your Form can also automatically Save and re-open (with Auto-Save and Auto-Reopen set) and be ready to scan the next item.

Top Labels in this Space