Best data structure for 2 linked apps

Hello, newbie here

I am working on 2 apps for my restaurant, but i am not sure how to efficiently structure the data. I have :

• Inventory : listing hundreds of ingredients (price, quantity etcโ€ฆ)
  • Recipe book : listing dozens of recipes, each containing dozens of ingredients from the Inventory

For the Inventory, i think the data can come from a single large Google worksheet.
For the Recipe book, I am not sure. Should i go with : one worksheet to index all the recipes listing, then one worksheet per detailed recipe ?

How to handle that many worksheet ? I wonder about the loading speedโ€ฆ because each recipe will have a lot of data : multiple ingredients, weight, inventory units, converted unit, yields, adjusted prices, 3 different profit & margin calculation methods, etcโ€ฆ

Is there a more efficient data structure ? such as MySQL database (with which i am not familiar with) ?

Does someone have a similar example ?
Thanks

0 6 639
6 REPLIES 6

Using two tables in one app is a good approach. For example if you have ingredientโ€™s prices in inventory table, you can calculate recipeโ€™s total price with a virtual column so if the ingredientโ€™s price changes, it will update the recipeโ€™s price as well. This is what I have used with two different restaurant apps.

Thanks for your reply.
What about DB ? Whats the benefit over regular tablesheets ?

SQL is not neededโ€ฆ spreadsheet is just fine.
You actually need 3 tables for your appโ€ฆ Inventory, Receipts and Incredients.
#1 - Receipt is a parent table where the Incredients are child records
#2 - Inventory is a parent as well where the Inredients are childs as well.

Ok thanksโ€ฆ I am still documenting myself as i am not familiar with the topic.

One important detail : i need some of my recipes to become ingredients, so i can reuse them inside other recipes. For example i have a โ€œtomato sauceโ€ recipe, made with ingredients โ€œtomatoes, onions, garlic, whateverโ€. And then i make another โ€œlasagnaโ€ recipe, made with previous โ€œtomato sauceโ€ and other stuffs like meat and fillings. Can this parent-child relation be done in a dynamic way in Appsheet (i.e when i update my tomato recipe, i need the lasagna to be updated as well )?

thank you for starting this thread - and I hope that you and your biz are doing alright during this time. I have an online bakery and Iโ€™m in the midst of pivoting my model for these times.

After demo-ing every inventory & recipe management platform on the market - I have realized that I have to build my own. I am new to all of this, and it looked like you are/were too. I was just wondering if you have successfully created this app.

If yes, do you mind sharing any articles and/or threads that helped you out?
I am also worried about the amount of data that would be stored on this app, if yours is running, do you have any trouble loading data?

Thanks for your time!

Yes you can do that if you add an extra Ref field to your Recipe table because you can read records from the same table.

Top Labels in this Space