Best View for Read-Only Virtual Column Summary Expressions?

I wonder if anyone could give some guidance / tips / tricks on how best to display a table that’s primarily Virtual Column Summaries. Right now I’m using the DECK view but it’s lacking the ability to include thumbnail images together with other expressions. (ie would be great to combine the thumbnail image and the data together on the same line like the CARD View).

I’d like to use the CARD view and include an image but since each summary VC expression is different, the CARD headers translate down columns and not not necessarily from one VC column to another.

Here’s a simplified version of my VC Summary in the DECK view. I’m not liking it. Can you concatenate a thumbnail icon image together with a math/text expression?

Thanks

3X_3_8_38fa0becb4d9fa1a73e0e820fcc7479412c452e5.png

0 3 615
  • UX
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @Tony_Insua 3 ways that come into my mind:

1. Using Format Rule to add an icon
    3X_4_e_4e13d3d04e0ad7cce78eeed636d22afee80797f0.png
  2. Using CONCATENATE() to add an Emoji like to any text or number
  3. Using a Virtual Column that does “SelfRef” to combine a thumbnail with another column like @GreenFlux did Sample App: US Zip Codes

@Fabian
May be remind you that using Emojis is risky as they might not appear the same in every device and running OS.

Hey @Tony_Insua.

I prefer the table view to show summary data like that, especially with horizontal scrolling turned on - this gives people the ability to see everything in one compact inline view.

You could also switch the display mode of the field names to side-by-side - this cuts down on vertical space used to display info.

Another thing that I’ve taken to doing, which really helps save space inside a detail view, is to construct a longtext summary that concatenates all these things together into a single text block.

This helps save space by removing the actual fields (with all their spacing and such) and cramming all that info into a single space.

For example, if I were to do this for the columns shown in your image…
3X_3_8_38fa0becb4d9fa1a73e0e820fcc7479412c452e5.png
…I would build a concatenate formula like this:

CONCATENATE(
"Longest Ride: ", [Longest_Ride], "
Highest Elevation: ", [Highest_Elevation], "
Max Avg Power: ", [Max_Avg_Power], "
Max Avg Speed: ", [Max_Avg_Speed]
)

Which would give an output like this, all inside a single field:

Longest Ride: 25.5
Highest Elevation: 400
Max Avg Power: 160
Max Avg Speed: 21.5

To visually pull out the values from the text, sometimes it helps to wrap numbers or dates in parenthesis or square brackets.

Longest Ride: [25.5]
Highest Elevation: [400]
Max Avg Power: [160]
Max Avg Speed: [21.5]

Building AppSheet apps reminds me of building websites in the mid 90s.

Top Labels in this Space