Best way to change a table name

Aleksi and team found the reason my app wouldn’t copy, the latest sheet I added had a name over 30 characters.

Now I need to rename it. What the best way to do this to prevent having to reassign data type, enumlist values, validIFs, etc in the table def in AppSheet?

Thanks.

Solved Solved
0 15 2,823
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Worksheet names can be changed at any time. Upon next app config save, the app editor will complain the table’s worksheet doesn’t exist. Just choose the new worksheet name:

You may have to reload the editor a few times before it sees the new worksheet name, but it will eventually.

There is no requirement that the app’s table name match or even have any similarity to the worksheet name.

Changing the worksheet name has no effect on the table’s column configuration in the app editor.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Is it the appsheet table name, or google sheet table name that’s giving you heart burn?

Google sheet name according to Aleksi. It won’t let me copy the app with data.

what is the sheet name, and what is the table name in appsheet?

The same.
Sheet name: Instructions_Viewing_Public_Requests
AppSheet table name: Instructions_Viewing_Public_Requests

Thanks for your help.

If it’s truly the sheet name, then you could always change the sheet name to something smaller, and if you need to in app sheet you can explore the table source without changing the table name and app sheet and apply different that new sheet

Thanks.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Worksheet names can be changed at any time. Upon next app config save, the app editor will complain the table’s worksheet doesn’t exist. Just choose the new worksheet name:

You may have to reload the editor a few times before it sees the new worksheet name, but it will eventually.

There is no requirement that the app’s table name match or even have any similarity to the worksheet name.

Changing the worksheet name has no effect on the table’s column configuration in the app editor.

Thanks Steve. Great information. I continually find new things to learn. Thanks for stretching my brain.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It even renamed all the formulas, unbelievable!

After changing the table name, the system views (form and detail) still have the old table name, what should I do to update those views name? 

Yeah, this is a painful problem. You have to delete the old views and let the system regenerate views with the new names. You will need to then re-apply any custom configuration you want for those views.

thanks, that the info I needed. Thanks a lot

EdC
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

This might sound odd, but I'm trying something new: naming the table tabs in my sheets with generic names (a, b, c...). That way, I just build named data tables in AppSheet and stop sweating about the name of each table tab in its source data sheets. I'm hoping this will help down the road when I clone apps too. It bugs me when a sheet tab looks like it's been misnamed. The names a, b, c... never look "wrong" later.

EdC
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

PS: To be clear: I'm talking about generic names of the actual tabs in the Google Sheets, not the names in AppSheet. This approach seems to work best when I also name the sheet with a generic name too (a, b, c...). As you can tell, I'm still experimenting.

Many men, many minds

Top Labels in this Space