Better Checkbox function

I’d like to request a better or easier way to set up check boxes. Perhaps make it some option you can select when creating a Yes/No type column in a table. As of now the following link shows the only way I’ve found to make checkboxes, and it seems very convoluted for such a simple and useful function:

https://community.appsheet.com/t/how-to-add-a-checkbox-to-a-table-view/13942

Status Under Review
71 28 5,131
28 Comments
GreenFlux
Gold 1
Gold 1

Totally agree! That’s a lot fo setup for something that should a built-in option.

There’s a similar request here, although it’s for custom Text on Y/N columns.
https://community.appsheet.com/t/custom-y-n-text/11778

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

Thanks for looking at and quoting my checkbox work around. I agree that it would be better to have a simpler function.

By the way, it’s been about 4 years or so since Google sheets got a checkbox function, hasn’t it? Now that AppSheet is is part of Google, the presence of that function in Google sheets might be another rationale for a similarly easy to implement checkbox on this platform.

Jonathon
Silver 5
Silver 5

A real world example:

The AppSheet form requires significantly more scrolling for the same amount of information…

retailpartnerco
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Yep, I made my dad an app to rate stocks based on factors, but the biggest reason he is not currently using it is the excessive scrolling.

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

And, the one on the left is aesthetically much more pleasing.

baggster55

Agreed. I’m making my first App with Appsheet and pretty impressed with it so far, I’m happy with I what can accomplish, but the user experience design could use a bit of an upgrade…

Fabian_Weller
Gold 1
Gold 1

One Workaround is using Quick Edit in Detail View.

----->

Here is the difference between Form view and Detail View with the Yes/No column as Quick Edit.

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

Hi @Fabian!
Your workaround looks very nice – and different from the on-off toggle images for actions I know of in AppSheet:

2X_0_070ee85b44a3cb6119f8e68f09b2d2b27dc3089d.png

Any secret?

Fabian_Weller
Gold 1
Gold 1

Hi @Kirk_Masden this is just the normal behavior when you set a Yes/No column to Quick Edit in a Detail View.

Perhaps this wasn’t documented / communicated very well.
@JCadence @Peter @Steve @Aleksi

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

Thanks! After I asked my question, it occurred to me that that might be the case. Thanks for the confirmation. I’ll look into implementing this in my app. I prefer this appearance to what I already have. Still, it would be nice if the appearance could be invoked “manually” via icons as well.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Hi @Kirk_Masden

This should not be the best and perfect solutions with you, but the appraoch with “toggling inline action” may give you another possible UI/UX for yes/no type data field. I m sure you did consider and try it out but it looks like ; -

Technially same as quick edit on detail view, but the appearance is bit different. Just for your guidance, sir.

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

Thanks @tsuji_koichi! That looks like what I wrote about here, but with different icons:

Is that right?

What you have done looks very nice. I think the icons are those that I showed a few posts above, but blue rather than black.

It would also be cool to do that with icons that look like what @Fabian showed us.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

I believe the basic technique used should be the same, toggling show/hide actions inline.
「百聞は一見に如かず」
Here is sample for you, please feel free to examine.

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/Public-Sample-App?appGuidString=b2bd8d61-b986-4717-b0f1-a232511aaff...

Jonathon
Silver 5
Silver 5

I don’t mind the detail view workaround - unfortunately it doesn’t help when you want multi-page forms.

Also, I really don’t like how many sync actions get queued up with detail view edits.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

It s okey what you feel, as this is workaround under the given cirtumstances and conditiosn available for now, while I agree with you we need massive change and upgrade for UIs of Appsheet including more user friendly form and details views both mobile and PC user of appsheet. Unfortunately, we are not seeing much of improvement for this fields for years.