Bluetooth Barcode Laser Scanner

I made an inventory app for fixed assets. Currently it scans asset barcode tags by camera. Is it possible to use a bluetooth barcode laser scanner to obtain a barcode tag? If so which bluetooth laser scanner works best? Is it also possible to use both to obtain a barcode using the camera or laser scanner? Thanks!

1 8 596
8 REPLIES 8

TyAlevizos
Participant V

Hello. Sorry to say but no bluetooth scanner will work, bluetooth in general is not implemented in the AppSheet app or platform.

You will want to use the built-in scannable option for an Appsheet field marked as โ€œtextโ€ or โ€œrefโ€. This triggers the camera function on your smartphone or device, all from within AppSheet itself. You may have already read our help article on scanning, but here it is: https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/961642-using-a-barcode-scanner

Austin
Participant V

Am I reading this post wrong then that they are using bluetooth barcode scanners with appsheet?

AppSheet itself doesnโ€™t inherently support Bluetooth, but any connected Bluetooth device that delivers input as a keyboard should work, Iโ€™d think.

Ah, thatโ€™s an interesting nuance. I had not tested this personally so didnโ€™t think about this possibility.

Can you please expand upon this Steve? If I wanted to build some functions in a restaurant app such as receipt printing, opening a cash drawer etc. is there some direct or even crazy workaround to achieve this?

You say delivers input so Iโ€™d assume you mean the instant communication via bluetooth is only one way?

AppSheet can receive input from any Bluetooth device that behaves as a keyboard. AppSheet cannot push data to any Bluetooth device, so AppSheet cannot use Bluetooth-attached printers. I doubt cash drawers would be usable, too.

Ethan_U
Participant V

Man that would be epic if Appsheet ever looked to integrate something like this. I would imagine tons of people have use cases.

Do you see anything from your insiders perspective which would lead you to believe this will be possible at some point?

I do not, but understand my โ€œinsider statusโ€ isnโ€™t that deep.

Top Labels in this Space