Bots event triggered but no process

Participant III

I wanted to send an notification when a new row added to google sheet,
The google sheet appsheet add-on did trigger an event in the automation (show in monitor) but no process after that, where went wrong?

Data - Table added

Add bot

Add Process

Testing ok - I did receive the notification

When I add new form submit to google form / add to google sheet, I did not receive any notification,
I check the monitor:

Only Event show data

Whatโ€™s wrong?

0 29 1,101
29 REPLIES 29

Aurelien
Participant V

Hi @167

Could that be the reason ?
Section "How bots are not triggered"

Changes made directly to the spreadsheet or database

I assume the Google Forms proceed this way

I suggest you have a look there:

@Aurelien Thanks for helping

I know why process was not trigger already.
Because the โ€œrun this process: this was auto set by system when select event nameโ€ and the process name that i set was different.

now that I set them to the same name, I was about to get the process moving but now task was not triggered

In the monitor

Process was trigger but I did not get notification.

Steps show in #3 (return-step)

Shouldnโ€™t the #3 be the name of the task?
I have check the task name same in the process but task not trigger.

Iโ€™m not sure about this, but if the app is not deployed, that may be the reason to why you donโ€™t get notification in the end.
I know for sure emails go to app owner until itโ€™s deployed.
It would make sense that the same happens with notifications.

Is your app deployed ?
What happens if you pick โ€œemailโ€ instead of โ€œnotificationโ€, in order to make sure the bot works properly ?

Push Notifications DO work in a non-deployed app. But as in all communication types for non-deployed apps, the notification will only go to the App Creator.

To receive the notification, I think you need to be logged in to your authentication provider on the device AND have App Sheet installed. I believe having the App Sheet container is sufficient.

Thanks for clarification about notifications vs app deployment !
I thought so, but wasnโ€™t 100% sure.

@Aurelien
My app is deployed

I manage to get the bot โ€œworkingโ€ but slow and without notification

When new form submit, new event is trigger follow by pervious process and output was show success but phone does not show notification.

When submit No.1 form, event show No.1 data but no process
When submit No.2 form, event show No.2 data , Process show No.1 process input and output
Phone does not receive any notification at all.

@167
This looks like a nice mystery

Just in case: is it possible that your phone is blocking any notification from AppSheet ?
(switching with email instead of notification to make sure the bot works, may be a good idea)

This part:

is weird.
@WillowMobileSystems , any idea about what may go wrong ?

@Aurelien

when testing mode, notification can receive perfectly.
I try to remove all bot and retake everything again.

Nv give up

After delete all the bots,

recreate the bots,
Data Change / Add only
Process - task

• send email
  • send notification
  • send sms

Testing mode, all 3 method can receive perfectly

When using new submit in google form - google sheet, appsheet event to appsheet

Data show in event but NO PROCESS again

I have no clue about what is going wrong.
@WillowMobileSystems , do you know who can be addressed on this situation ?
At this stage, I would suggest to contact Support, but I have the intuition we are missing some key element.

@Aurelien

I have try all ways that I know of, but no luck in trigger the process, not sure what I miss out.
Testing mode, everything working fine, I can receive sms, email and notification.
Only when new form submit, data show in event and no process working.

Can any appsheet support help look into my account to see what is the issue?

Thanks,
Request sent

I tested the creation of a simple Bot to send a Push Notification when a new row was added. It all worked fine for me.

One thing caught my attentionโ€ฆโ€œno process workingโ€. There has been an issue for some when they have created a new Process that the associated Table was not set. I think this depends on HOW you add the Process.

I recommend checking your Process to make sure the proper Table is set. You can do this by opening the Process in the Processes tab. See the image below

@WillowMobileSystems thanks for pointing out

I have check on the table for event and process are the same table.

Not sure where else went wrong.

Aside from that, am I right to say as long as all perimeter are set correctly then the testing can get through?
By right if testing can pass, the bot shouldnโ€™t have any issue processing once the event is trigger.

Right. But Iโ€™m curiousโ€ฆwhen you run a test how does the Bot know what row to send a notification on? I havenโ€™t yet tried running a test on a Bot that sends notifications.

The fact that you are receiving notifications implies the Task and device are setup to properly send and receive the notifications.

The focus then needs to be on triggering the Bot.

• You are adding a brand NEW row each time you test?
  • What happens if you change the Event to โ€œAll changesโ€?

@WillowMobileSystems

During testing mode, all rows will be show.
You can choose which row to test.

If you execute process (in red), all tasks(in blue) in that process will be trigger.
any task that are not properly done, will show red error at the header of that task.

Or you can test individual task by execute that individual task.

When that executed test is successful, APPSHEET will show successful on top

• You are adding a brand NEW row each time you test?
  • What happens if you change the Event to โ€œAll changesโ€?
    Regardless of add new row or all changes,
    Appsheet event will show data of that row whenever that is a changes/new and see whether the condition are met to trigger the process

What I mean here is that when you attempt the automatic triggering of the bot by activity in the app, you are indeed adding a NEW row each time, not editing an existing row. Right?

Then I am asking if you change the Bot event to โ€œAll Changesโ€, what happens then when you add a new row? Does the notification get generated in that case?

What I mean here is that when you attempt the automatic triggering of the bot by activity in the app, you are indeed adding a NEW row each time, not editing an existing row. Right?
- YES, adding a new google form submit

Then I am asking if you change the Bot event to โ€œAll Changesโ€, what happens then when you add a new row?
Event either ADD ONLY, ALL CHANGES, UPDATE ONLY =
monitor show data in the event but no process

Does the notification get generated in that case?
- no process therefore nothing was receive

Hold on a minute! I just realized that the name of the Data source is Form Responses 3 and that is a naming standard when using Google Forms.

Are you using a Google Form to enter your new row and expecting that to trigger the Automation in AppSheet?

Are you using a Google Form to enter your new row and expecting that to trigger the Automation in AppSheet?

Consider yes,
my customer will use google form to submit their order,
then appear in google sheet and use appsheet event to trigger appsheet bot

When App Sheet is installed, there is a settings section included for Notifications. In an iPhone this is found by going to Settings->Notifications->AppSheet.

Make sure Notifications have been set to โ€œallowedโ€ on the device and that the other settings are configured to your preferences.

If that all looks good then I would use @Aurelien 's suggestion - switch from Push Notification to Email to see if you can get that working.

Steve
Participant V

For reference:

Participant III

@Steve
@WillowMobileSystems
@Aurelien

Thank for the assist !
I think I know whatโ€™s wrong, I use the appsheet event add-on on the google sheet itself, instead of google form.

Will re-do the structure and give it a try again,
update again once confirm.

Thanks !

Participant III

Retry restructure whole process again ~

If it is not critical that you use Google Forms, I would suggest to simply create the Forms in AppSheet. Then you will have all of the functionality under a single tool. Forms in AppSheet are different but you can accomplish the same outcome.

If it is not critical that you use Google Forms,

• the google forms is critical for now as it is enhance to become a e-com website

I would suggest to simply create the Forms in AppSheet.

• I will like to, but at this point of time i do not have the knowledge to create an e-com / website lookalike from the appsheet

APPSHEET is really great in handling my work which mainly because it is a no-code base and I do not have any coding skill, all I need to do is to follow example and fill up the โ€œanswerโ€ in the appsheet โ€œquestionโ€ to make the function work.

Now I need to solve this bot issue if not I will not be notify when there is a new order coming in.

After that I need to figure out the alphanumeric SMS part that @Aurelien mention on the second part which relate to my another posting, I believe the answer to my alphanumeric SMS is in there somewhere but seem like that will require some coding skill which I doesnโ€™t have.

Participant III

I have try to create a testing app (birthday record) using the same flow.

I created a GOOGLE FORM - https://forms.gle/QdScEGH8ygSJgvzy5

• connect to a google sheet
  • open add-on appsheet at google form

• Prepare (it auto restructure the google sheet header)
  • click launch (it auto create a app)

In the app

• i create the bot for sending notification when new record was created.

• I try submit new record from google form link, nothing happen, so I went to google sheet and turn on the response sheet with appsheet event.

• try again submit by google form (monitor show data but no process)

• try submit by app itself, i received the notification.

• the last post which i deleted, i was talking about this procedure but as i was posting, suddenly i receive the notification which i submit by google form, thatโ€™s why i deleted the post and continue testing.

• once I receive the notification, this birthday record app is working fine, I can receive notification every time I make a submit by the link.

I try to restructure and setting to my actual app but no process, only when submit by app itself will trigger the notification. No process when submit by google form link, only show data in event.

Is there a MUST follow procedure that I should follow? if I mix the procedure and it wonโ€™t work?
eg:
like I should turn on the google sheet add-on before I create the bot?
or should I create the bot before I turn the sheet on?

Participant III

@Aurelien

Thanks for all the assist.
Problem have been solved.

Key point:
Forms can be linked to save responses to a NEW SHEET ONLY

Top Labels in this Space