BUG? Column & Inline Action Missing From View, Replaced with _RowNumber (and No Action)

GreenFlux
Participant V

One of my clients has seen this happen in two different apps today:
3X_a_c_ac5dc5512ae31059ff8ffec622116716a1014299.png

3X_6_3_630be0579439e6292ddf5413360b5fb61f85428a.png

Several columns with inline actions in table views have been replaced with _RowNumber and no inline action.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Solved Solved
4 27 1,621
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The deployment is mostly complete โ€” many of the servers have received the update. If you refresh/sync your app, it should now avoid the bug. Basically, the bug description is:
*) the action is set ColumnX to some value
*) the action was explicitly associated with ColumnY in the action definition
*) the bug caused this to be overwritten and associated again with ColumnX

If you had not opened the app in the editor earlier today and tried to save it, make any changes, etc, then our deployment will just fix the problem. If on the other hand, you did make edits (as I imagine any of you who ran into trounle would have tried to do), then you have to do one of the following things:
a) use Manage โ†’ Versions to go back to an earlier version and restore it, or
b) go to the specific actions in question (Behavior โ†’ Actions) and explicitly set the column that it is attached to, and Save the change in the editor.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Someone else reported this same issue in spanish

yo tengo un problema similar, tengo acciones que estan en vista de linea de columna, mi aplicacion funcionaba correctamente pero ahora las acciones no se muestran en la columna, el problema es que tengo a 17 personas trabajando con estas aplicaciones y todas no pueden capturar informaciรณn por que debido a que las acciones no se muestran en la linea de columna toda la vista de la tabla cambio y es un caos!!!

Steve
Participant V

Escalated.

I am also experiencing the same problem.

Qick clarification โ€” is this after opening the app in the editor? Or is this just in the browser/device with no change to the app in the editor?

Could one of you please share app name or file a support ticket so we can look into it? Thanks

Actualyt, we have a support ticket to investigate, so looking at it now.

Could one of you please confirm โ€ฆ if you go back to an older version of the app definition (via Manage โ†’ Version history), does it work? Thanks

ya lo hice a una versiรณn anterior y no pasa nada

No, we tried to go 6 previous versions and all of them are showing this change instead of the real one

Thanks you @Stephanie_Estradariv for clarifying. Continuing to investigate. If you have the app name, please share so that we can look into it. if youโ€™d ike to send it privately, please send to pravse@google.com (the app name will be something like myappname-163506). Also, please share any steps to reproduce the problem (eg: open view X, click on row Y, etc). Thanks

yo tengo mas 5 aplicaciones y en todas presenta el mismo error el nombre de una de ellas es:

Usuario01โ€“1561-1135272
nombre corto: Libre demo 01โ€“1561

Yes, i already sent it in the chat (editor)

So here is a description of the problemโ€ฆ

*) It only affects Set Column Value actions (eg: ColumnX = 5)
*) And only if this action has been explicitly attached to a different column (i.e. not to ColumnX but to something else)

Right now, our code is ignoring that information and assuming the action is always associated with ColumnX.

This problem was introduced because we are refactoring some of the code for actions in the system and didnโ€™t adequately test for this case. We have a fix coming. Donโ€™t have an ETA at the moment. Definitely will be in tomorrowโ€™s deployment. Weโ€™re trying to get a sense of the severity of the impact โ€” eg: if any of you are drastically affected and need an emergency deployment, please let us know.

Thanks

Yo tengo a 17 personas que no han podido trabajar
te explico:

La aplicaciรณn que usan para trabajar las acciones son indispensables ya que al presionar una accion captura pagos o creditos, entonces no han podido trabajar estan anotando todo en una libreta pero la aplicaciรณn no la han usando por que no es posible trabajar

@praveen , thank you for the quick response yesterday. This came up just as I was leaving for the day and it was good to see that you were already on it before I checked out for the day with my client.

I understand this is an edge case, and not the normal use of inline actions.
These kinds of workarounds are needed because of the lack of options with Inline Actions. They always take over the data being displayed in table view, instead of showing both, or making the data be part of the button.

If we had more control over the display of Inline Actions, we would not need to arbitrarily link buttons to unrelated columns just to get them to show up in table view next to the right column value.

Agree totally.

At the moment, thereโ€™s a lot of change going on at all levels of the system โ€” lots of core infrastructure changing, implementations of various layers changing. In this case, I am refactoring Actions (which currently are a grab bag of data change actions and UI navigations) into separate clean concepts. Plus of course, major things like the automation work.

As things get to a better foundation and everyone on the dev team is ramped up with all of the complexities of the platform, we then start fixing some of the oddities and limitations that exist on the edges. This is happening at different rates in different parts of the system. We are furthest along in the backend infrastructure, and the least far along in the editor and app UI. Sort of reflecting where most of our energies went in the first year (moving the backend infrastructure off Azure and onto GCP). It takes a year of that deep engagement and learning unfortunately because the platform is a rather complex piece of software.

All the best sir !

Waiting for new changes in performance wise and many other UI improvements.

We have a fix for the problem and are kicking off a special deployment to release this. I expect this will happen within approximately 4 hours from now.

Josephine
Participant III

It rendered my app for invoice management impossible to use, as the affected actions covered up two vital columns (quantity supplied and unit cost).
I have had to hide those actions, one of which is needed to refresh the invoice line, others which drastically reduce keying time in an already laggy app (which is being looked into by Appsheet separately).

When you say thereโ€™s no ETA, but it will definitely be in tomorrowโ€™s deployment, does that mean at most it will be 24 hours? And you will try to deploy sooner?

Hopefully we donโ€™t get too many insufficient testing scenarios againโ€ฆ

Hi @Josephine , yes the deployment process has been kicked off. It takes a few hours to finish though. I will notify this thread when it is complete.
If you edited the app in the interim, you will need to manually fix up the actions in question. Basically, the problem is:

If you had not opened the app in the editor earlier today and tried to save it, make any changes, etc, then our deployment will just fix the problem. If on the other hand, you did make edits (as I imagine any of you who ran into trounle would have tried to do), then you have to do one of the following things:
b) go to the specific actions in question (Behavior โ†’ Actions) and explicitly set the column that it is attached to

Again, I do recognize this is a big mess and lots of disruption for you! This will cause us to flesh out our test suites to cover this case better.

Thanks for the detailed information Praveen,

We are having the same issue - I did lodge a support request and detailed a video of the testing.
However, I found the exact same thing you mentioned - only affecting the โ€œset column valueโ€ actions.

Weโ€™ll get staff to hold off using the Apps for now to avoid confusion for them.
Please update ASAP here once you think we can look to test again, and bring back old versions if needed.

Gracias

The deployment is mostly complete โ€” many of the servers have received the update. If you refresh/sync your app, it should now avoid the bug. Basically, the bug description is:

b) go to the specific actions in question (Behavior โ†’ Actions) and explicitly set the column that it is attached to, and Save the change in the editor.

all working for us - we had to revise an order version as we made app changes.
thanks for the prompt attention to this issue and the fix

parece que si funciona, en mi caso tuve que volver a versiรณn anterior
Mil gracias!!!

Ed_Cottrell
Participant III

Hi @praveen thanks for the updates here, we had this same issue this morning and have now successfully restored an app version (having tried to fix it already this morning in the editor).

We have however also noticed that each of our apps that have had the material updates rolled out this morning are now, from a UX perspective quite slow/glitchy/sometimes freeze/sometimes overlay action buttons show as a solid round circle without the logo (momentarily) etc.

Has anyone else had/reported this aspect also? Iโ€™m hoping itโ€™s also related to the material roll out and a quick fix? Apps affected are not complex nor do they have complex formatting rules applied โ€“ they were very responsive prior to the roll out.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi @Ed_Cottrell , do you mind creating a separate thread (in support or in the community) for the UI issues. I know there was one layout performance issue that was fixed yesterday but this other issue with the overlay buttons may not be known.

Top Labels in this Space