Call me stupid or dum... but I have a questio...

Call me stupid or dum… but I have a question from the perspective of an elementary teacher learning…

You have tutorial videos but many times you teach several expressions together… making it kind of difficult to understand.

Do you have any videos teaching one expression at a time… just one in its simplest form on one table?

0 4 322
4 REPLIES 4

Have you reviewed this. I feel like it’s pretty good, and I reference it often. help.appsheet.com - EXPRESSIONS | AppSheet Help Center EXPRESSIONS | AppSheet Help Center help.appsheet.com

so for example - in your pages for explaining expressions you have things like

IN(, )

and I’m looking for a simple explanation of what that simple expression of

means to you guys.

Is

value

a number?

Is

value

a number or a text?

what is the

< >

?

Are these symbols

needed when writing the expression or just something coders recognize??

What do they mean in the expression above?

I can’t find these simple explanations in any of your docs… where are these simple things explained?

@Ellen_Sligh1 In the article here on list expressions, it has lots of examples… To directly answer your question <> is not needed for anything, and I have no idea why they chose that. So the “Value” is simply anything that might be in the list. most commonly that will be a value from a column which is [column_name] But you can snag any single “value” from anywhere with many different lookup and other types of functions…

IN Function IN(, ) checks for the presence of a value in a list.

IN([ColumnName], {1, 2, 3})

— returns True if ColumnName contains 1, 2, or 3. The list values must be constants in this form of list.

IN([ColumnName], LIST(11, 22, 3*3))

— returns True if ColumnName contains 1, 4, or 9. This example illustrates that the list values may be either constants or expressions when the LIST function is used.

IN(“Banana”, [FruitEnumList]) — returns True if the column FruitEnumList contains the value “Banana”.

OR(IN(“Apple”, [FruitEnumList]), IN(“Banana”, [FruitEnumList])) — returns True if the column FruitEnumList contains the value “Apple”, or the value “Banana”, or both the value “Apple” and the value “Banana”.

AND(IN(“Apple”, [FruitEnumList]), IN(“Banana”, [FruitEnumList])) — returns True if the column FruitEnumList contains both the value “Apple” and the value “Banana”.

AND(IN(“Apple”, [FruitEnumList]), NOT(IN(“Banana”, [FruitEnumList]))) — returns True if the column FruitEnumList contains the value “Apple” but not the value “Banana”.

Also, small note, i’m simply a community member, and i’m not an Appsheet Employee.

help.appsheet.com - List Expressions and Aggregates List Expressions and Aggregates help.appsheet.com

Also, any specific questions, we’ll all be more than happy to help you.

Top Labels in this Space