Can I display a field on multiple forms but o...

Can I display a field on multiple forms but only allow it to be edited from a nominated form?

I have a very simple setup:

A single spreadsheet holds details of jobs that need to be completed.

I use a Slice to filter only items that have not been completed and use it as a datasource for a Table List.

When I select an entry a Detail form displays the record. I use a Quick Edit field on that form to help organise the jobs

When the Edit button is pressed a Form displays the record I need to edit PLUS a few info only records. E.g. I donโ€™t want to be able to edit the Pre-Delivery comments on that form, only the Post Delivery Comments. However I want to display the Pre-Delivery comments.

I want to create a completely separate form to enable the Pre-Delivery comments, and other relevant fields to be entered and/or edited.

How do I make a field only Editable on selected form(s) but still able to be displayed on other forms

0 2 436
2 REPLIES 2

My best suggestion would be to create virtual columnsโ€“which cannot be editedโ€“that mirror the editable columns, then include the virtual columns instead of the originals in the appropriate slices.

For example, table MyTable has physical (actual) columns [name] and [phone], both of which are editable, and the virtual column [name_ro] (ro for โ€œread-onlyโ€) with an App formula of =[name] (to mirror the value of [name]). Slice EditSlice contains both [name] and [phone], but not [name_ro], and allows Updates. Slice EditPhoneSlice contains [name_ro] (which cannot be edited, because itโ€™s a virtual column) and [phone], but not [name], and also allows Updates. When the user is given a form with the EditPhoneSlice, theyโ€™ll be able to edit [phone], but not [name_ro].

Thatโ€™s so simple and so brilliant.

Thanks. โ€ฆ Rob

Top Labels in this Space