Can I sort the data in a Ref field?

Hello, I have an app that uses a REF field to store jobs names and it allows users to add a new name if they can’t find one they want. My question is, is it possible to have Appsheet show the stored options in alphabetical order to make it easier for the users to find the job they’re looking for?

I’m trying to do it using a script in Google Sheets (where my data is stored) but this is proving difficult because the script doesn’t seem to work when the sheet is updated by Appsheet, only when it is updated manually.

Thanks in advance

Solved Solved
0 5 2,765
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nothing “silly” about your question. The ValidIf select statement has to go in the ValidIf setting box, in the Column definition for the Ref column. It’s not as clear to me how your table is set up but if this col is not the key, then you have to ensure it’s set as a label. Hard to describe here, but here is a help article that describes how to do this:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mike_A
Participant V

Maybe this information will help. You should be able to do that using the ValidIf field…

Hello Mike,

Sorry, I’m a real dummy and don’t understand where I’m supposed to put that formula. My data is as follows…

Worksheet Name = Job
Column Name to sort = Job Name

So my understanding is that the formula would say…
ORDERBY(SELECT(Job[Job Name],TRUE),[TIMESTAMP],TRUE)

Where do I put Valid_if? Does the formula go in the App Formula field?

Thanks in advance

Nothing “silly” about your question. The ValidIf select statement has to go in the ValidIf setting box, in the Column definition for the Ref column. It’s not as clear to me how your table is set up but if this col is not the key, then you have to ensure it’s set as a label. Hard to describe here, but here is a help article that describes how to do this:

Wow! Thanks so much Mike, that worked!! You have no idea how long I’ve spent trying to work this out myself :).

You have a great weekend!

Glad it helped!

Top Labels in this Space