Can I use a UserSetting field, which is a Ref field, as an Initial Value for a Ref field in another table?

I have created a UserSetting called ThisWorker and made it a REF field that draws on the Workers table. The intent is to give the user the ability to set themselves as a default when they enter records in my Input and Expense tables.

Iโ€™ve then set UserSetting(ThisWorker) as a Initial Value for the WorkerName in my Input table and ClaimedBy in my Expense table. Both those fields are also Ref fields drawing on the Workers table.

What I was hoping was that when I open a Form to create a new record in the Input and Expense tables, the name fields would default to ThisWorker, however it remains blank.

Not sure what I need to do to get it to work so open to suggestions.

0 4 119
4 REPLIES 4

It should work. Do you have any validation rule with your columns that could avoid this?

No I didnโ€™t, however I tried changing my UserSetting field from a REF to a TEXT and then used ValidIf to create the list to select the current user. When I did it that way, it worked.

I made a quick test and itโ€™s working as you originally described. It sounds it could be something with a label value. Try to read the value from the usersettings() with another column so you could check what the value actually is when you save it. Then you could check is it correct or not.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Please post a screenshot of the User Settings column configuration, a screenshot of the Initial value expression that references it, and the column configuration screen for the column with that Initial value expression.

Top Labels in this Space