Can you trigger an action on a table quick edit save?

I know actions can be triggered on clicking a row, also by saving a form, etc. I have a table that users will be updating multiple rows using the quick edit function. Once the edit is complete a workflow which creates an email+PDF needs to be sent reflecting the changes. Ideally this action would be triggered when the multirow edits are saved as the last step of the sync. The closest I have gotten is triggering the action manually after editing by using an action button.

I am also having trouble displaying the button. it seems to refuse to show in table view and will only show in detail view.

0 13 1,221
13 REPLIES 13

A workflow which triggers on โ€˜Updates_Onlyโ€™ doesnโ€™t work? Even when doing bulk edits in a table, the workflow if you have one should still trigger.

Screenshot of what you tried that was unsuccessful?

So the goal is to create a shipping manifest. Iโ€™ve gotten it down to 2 steps. A table has a list of sales, each row has an order number, product, qty, etc. A single order can take multiple rows if it has multiple products. Depending on standing inventory, not all products on an order can ship at the same time. Therefore, after an order is created, the user doing the shipping will select the rows being shipped today. That is the multi row quick edit. This creates a row for each type of product, qty, order#, and a โ€œFALSEโ€ ship status column in a child table. Thatโ€™s Step 1. Step 2 a second action (currently being triggered manually) sets the ship status column to โ€œTRUEโ€ in the most recent entry in the child table. Once the ship status is updated, the workflow triggers. The workflow uses the Order# from that single row to SELECT all the rows being shipped today. Thats why I cant let the workflow trigger just on the parent table, it would send a PDF for each individual product rather than putting them all on a single page.

As far as the action button displaying only on detail view, it is a group action, the first step sets the ship status to TRUE, triggering the workflow, the second step sets it back to FALSE so these items arenโ€™t included in the next manifest. I think this isnโ€™t appearing in table view because the sub actions in the group are using a row level expression. I just cant figure out how to get around it unless I can trigger the group of actions at the quick edit point on the table in Step 1.

LIST(MAXROW(โ€œShipping Manifestโ€,"_ROWNUMBER",TRUE))

Steve
Participant V

It is not possible to attach actions to Quick Edit changes, either in table or detail views. The closest you can get is a workflow, but that wonโ€™t occur until a sync happens.

The only overlay buttons that may be places on table views are those labeled โ€œnot a row level actionโ€ and navigation actions. Other data-change actions are not allowed.

you are being a buzzkill Steve.

@Steve can we go back to parent detail view when you save inline table quick edit?

Nope. Actions can not be a part of the QuickEdit behavior.

abood89
Participant IV

Hi 

Did you find any solution for that problem yet ?  Im trying to do same 

You can display an action icon attached to a col using 'Disply Inline'

TeeSee1_0-1653011766689.png

Wouldn't this work? Maybe I misunderstand the whole thing?

inline action does not show in detailed view 

what im trying to achive is triggering an action when i edit a field from detailed view with a quick edit option 

Not possible--Quick Edit columns do not trigger actions, nor are action buttons attached to Quick Edit columns displayed.

abood89
Participant IV

One way to trigger action on quick edit field is by using bot to trigger the action after value in quick edit field has changed 

Yes, it takes some seconds (and that could be a buzzer), but it triggers on quickedits on detail view.
I did it with a Yes/No field.
When it is Yes, other status field changes without getting out of the detail view.

But if you've changed many rows, the webhook will trigger after each one!!! no way jose

Top Labels in this Space