Cancelling an EDIT of an inline item (childta...

Cancelling an EDIT of an inline item (childtable) results in LOSING the item!

I add a new vehicle to my form. It opens a new form (childtable) where I can fill some data and add photos.

I save. The vehicle is on the list (inline).

I can add several more vehicles and they go on the list.

Now I click one of them. It takes me to the DETAIL view, right?

Below it, there are the options CANCEL and SAVE.

If I hit CANCEL, it brings a message โ€œANY EDITS WILL BE LOST: NO or DISCARDโ€

No - you remain on childtable form. Discard - it should discard any EDIT. However, it discards THE ENTIRE ENTRY.

0 5 350
5 REPLIES 5

errrโ€ฆ before anyone says โ€œso hit save insteadโ€, there are many situations where you

donยดt want to save the edit formโ€ฆ

example: selected WRONG item from the list and replaced a long text with another. Then you noticed you were writing on the wrong item. You want to recover the long text you deleted. So you DO NOT WANT TO SAVE. You want to cancel the edit only.

Right now, it seems to me, either you lose the text (if you save) or you lose the entire itemโ€ฆ

Itโ€™s actually a very new feature to be able to edit the child inlineโ€ฆ And if youโ€™re not comfortable with the resistive โ€œbetaโ€ nature of it you can not make it โ€œisapartofโ€ and then you must as the child records after row submissionโ€ฆ

But is this something that is planned to be fixed (discarding only the EDIT, not the row itself)?

So I can warn future users of the app that, FOR A WHILE, they should be careful with that?

@Rogerio_Penna, I think your expectation is correct โ€” I believe the desired behavior is that canceling edit on an inline row should not throw away the entire owning parent row.

Adding @Adam_Stone_AppSheet FYI

Top Labels in this Space