Capability to change size, color, etc of display name with format rule

The following discussion is from a year ago:

I am reposting it as a “Feature Request” because I found myself wanting it again today.

In the meantime, last year’s discussion contains a workaround.

Status Planned
62 12 3,410
12 Comments
Jonathan_S

Funny,

I have a need for this as well. Please add the ability to format the Column Name/Description font/size etc in the detail view. Maybe it exists but I cant find it. Please add. Does not seem like a difficult feature. Are there any other temporary workarounds?

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

I don’t know of a workaround.

Jonathan_S

Im been trying and googling stuff for the past hour. No avail.

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

Please vote for this feature request, if possible.

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

Hi @Jonathan_S!

I came up with a workaround:

Jonathan_S

Thank you Kirk,

Unbelievable

Ferret
Silver 2
Silver 2

My client highly desires the ability to have different colored overlay buttons in order to improve user comprehension.

Case: I have two overlay buttons, and only one of the two will show. One is a start button (arrow) and the other is a stop button (square). The two buttons are being mistaken for one another and coloration via Format Rules would rock IMO.

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

Are the button’s inline actions or another kind of action. I just checked and the color of inline actions can be changed via rules but the same cannot be done with overlay actions. I’m not sure about “display prominently” actions. I wrote a request for color capability regarding overlay actions a long time ago:

Your example of how differently colored (overlay or display prominetly) buttons could be useful is good. I have a situation where there are different “modes” (similar but different activities with the same interface). Being able to separate color schemes for “display prominently” and “overlay” actions would help remind the user of their mode.

At any rate, more powerful format rules (whether of display names or overlay actions) would be welcome.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Scott_Nesbitt
Silver 2
Silver 2

Sure would like this to work.  My use case is an upvote button that starts blue, then turns to grey once the user upvotes (to indicated that the user cannot re-upvote.)

Status changed to: Planned
Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

The team is thinking on how best to bring theming and branding options to AppSheet apps. However, we want to take a more holistic approach. While we don't have a current plan to implement this specific request, we will incorporate this into our thinking.

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

On a related note, I would like to see a capability to increase the text size for text in the app.  The kind of global control for the user (not the creator) is already available when one users an app in a web browser, but not on phones.  People with vision problems need such controls.  Moreover, what looks good on a phone my not look good on a tablet without a bigger font.