Capturing Image

Hi,

I have created an app to capture an image. I need to disable the option choose from existing and should be able to directly capture an image from camera. I explore the options in Settings of IOS to disable the Photos under Settings>Appsheet and leave the camera ON but unfortunately when using the app, it will not allow me to capture an image at all.

Thanks and regards.

0 15 1,348
  • UX
15 REPLIES 15

Hi @Rommel_Dela_Cruz,
have you managed to figure it out yet? Iโ€™m also trying to limit users to only using the camera and not selecting photos from the Gallery.

You can set the option UX > Options > Allow image input from gallery as OFF

Aleksi in my experience this disables image input altogether and Iโ€™m prompted by iOS to go to settings and give permission for AppSheet to access my iOS gallery in the settings.

Is there a way to still be able to capture images using AppSheet but not save those images inside the iOS gallery?

@Gil Any thoughts about iOS?

@Paul_Marchenko,
Permission to the gallery is needed even if the camera is used to take the picture, since we save the photo to the gallery.
If you gave the app permissions for both the camera and the gallery, you should be able to take a photo.
Is that different from what youโ€™re experiencing?

Yes I understand, and when I give access I am able to capture images using appsheet, but when I capture images I donโ€™t want them saved in my phones gallery. I only want them in appsheet, because it fills up my phones with images that I donโ€™t necessarily need.

Is this possible?

I see,
Unfortunately, this is not possible at the moment.
We are considering adding an option for the user to disable saving images to the camera roll.
I will post here when I have news about it.

It would be great, thanks

This would be great.

Hi all,
Weโ€™ve added an option in the appโ€™s setting to prevent the app from saving images to the camera roll for iOS (Deviceโ€™s settings -> AppSheet).
This change is coming in version 12.7. You should be able to get this update now if you go to the play store, or with automatic updates within a week.

Hi @Gil ,

I am developing an application that allows our front line staff to collect images.  We have both iphone and android users, and we would like to prevent images taken using the app from reaching the camera roll.  I can see the option in ios, but I was just wondering whether it is also possible in android?  We are unable to find the option.  For us, the ideal solution would go one step further, and enable us, as the app developers, to dictate that the photos don't go to the camera roll.  Do you know if that is possible?

Thanks, Ben

Hi Ben,

In Android pictures are saved to a separate AppSheet folder so it's somewhat separated from other pictures taken on that device. iOS don't separate pictures by app which is why we added the option for the user to hide pictures taken from AppSheet.

What you're asking is not possible currently.

Could you please elaborate a bit on the use case and why do you want this functionality so we can consider adding this option?

Hi Gil,

Thanks for the response. I'd be happy to elaborate on my use case, but unfortunately I can't do so in a public forum at this time, since it is a sensitive project. I will send you a PM.

Thanks,

Ben

Hi all,

We've just added a new option in the editor to prevent images from being saved to the user's photo gallery/camera roll. You can find this option under UX -> Options -> Input.
Please note that this requires the user to have version 15.7 on Android or 15.2 on iOS or higher installed on their device. On earlier version the image would always be saved to the gallery.
Also, just a reminder that users can always use the device's screenshot feature to capture what's on screen.

Top Labels in this Space