Card Views (Beta)

Updated: December 2019 card view updates available here

Another UX update from @morgan is live today (currently in Beta status😞 a new way to visualize data with media, locations or charts more easily via ‘Cards’ that dynamically fill the device screen and give users quick ways to view details and initiate related actions.

This view also includes a new, intuitive method for customizing each field - look for it in your AppSheet account today and please share any initial feedback!

11 44 8,529
44 REPLIES 44

Mike_A
Participant V

Interesting new view. Will have to think about where I might apply this. Thanks for sharing.

I just turned this on and the entire editor disappeared…

Hi @Zach_McNaughtan1 thanks for the alert, sorry for the hassle. We’re working on it now, but I might expect to see a few bugs like this while the view works its way out of Beta.

Should be fixed now! Thanks to @Adam

Nice view. Unfortunately, Title not responding to the assigned column. still displaying default column

I am having this problem too

Love. I have been waiting for a way to display long text. So glad to have this.

Güzel olmuş fakat sadece metin kısmını alıyor. Tarih görüntülemek istediğimizde izin vermiyor

Is possible to add FIT or FILL options for image display?

Awesome feature!

There is something weird going on with the amount of column selections available for each section. Its almost like any virtual columns that reference other tables are not available. For example I have a total cost VC that sums up costs from child records, that’s not available as a selection. I also have a label VC that concats the date (real column) with the customer name (dereference expression from a customer table ref). That label VC is available, but definitely does not display what it should, in fact is . Hope this info helps work out these kinks.

This looks great!
Does it work as interactive in an interactive dashboard?

Wondering if this will be available soon

@Matheus_Rodrigues_de more granular control regarding what actions fire when you click cards is in the process of rolling out. Follow this new thread for updates.

Tim_Martin
Participant IV

Pretty neat…

1. would like to know where the subtitle/description underneath the title comes from? Can that be changed or made to look at alternate column?
  2. if map view, be able to set zoom - right now the map overview seems pretty ‘tight’ (zoomed in).

Zikri_Zainal
Participant II

I think this could be useful in terms of a landing page where I could beautifully summarise notifications in the card views. I’ve also created a Behaviour whereby they can quickly click on the first link to open the respective notification views.

However, if I pressed the whole area of the card, it leads to the card detail.

Can you also provide options as if the user clicks on the whole are of the card, it also links to the intended Behaviour function, which in this case simply means ‘Deeplink’.

Really loving your work AppSheet!

Cant wait for the future

Thanks. This will be a great view.

MultiTech
Participant V

I like the new view, it gives an option that’s a good combination of the gallery and deck view types.

But why the drastic change in editor behavior?
2X_5_5ef1e210b625d27d010629c154f238f542eed394.png
It would be nice to see these options listed like normal, this method is quite time consuming.

Thanks for the new view!!!

I couldnt figure out how it worked so gave up.

Worked for me, but agree the “visual” settings might not be easiest and most efficient approach…

I got there in the end. Just needed to save it before adding data.

Is there a sample App that illustrates Card View Functionality?
Which of these samples?
https://www.appsheet.com/portfolio/626900

Thanks @Peter

I looked at this app to try to figure out what the “text action” referenced to in the video was. Now I see that it’s a new feature, not available elsewhere in the platform.

I think this is very nice and would recommend that we be given the option of making actions “text only” elsewhere in the app. This would be particularly nice in inline views. I think it could be done with only a moderate alteration to the current editing interface. We can currently choose whether or not to have text with our action icons but we cannot chose “text only.” If that capability could be added, developers might come up with some interesting ways of using it. And, of course, there are situations where words are more readily understood than are icons.

I tried to copy this but got an error:

3X_6_3_63ed38c8737e66f4c72745e907baf4a231184b55.png

@Peter Will Card View work also with XY Column Type? So you can see the XY Background Image?

Yeah I saw the video yesterday. I hoped some fixes were made since this was way back in April.

@Peter could you add the event action so that you can control where the card click will take you (card click, not individual actions)

@Rosemary_Black there are some pending updates to card view that should help you do this - stay tuned!

Skip2MiLu
Participant V

Hi

I seem to see very limited list of column that I can use in the card view type.
Is this a bug or by choice?

Hi Michael,
Only certain column types were enabled at first. We’ll enable more of them in the future.

Ok. Looking forward to the update as I really like the card view concept though unfortunately it is not usable in the majority of my apps due the restriction on the column types I am able to use.

Do you perhaps have a short list of the column types that can or can not be used?

Same here, I’m seeing that REF type columns do not display its Label like how REF type columns display on Table Views or Deck Views. Rather, REF type columns right now display as its Key Value, making the Card Views useless for REF type columns .

hi i’m having issues with card views and actions. for example when executing an action (add data in another table using data from this table) from the card view, the application becomes slow and does not work well.

@Freddy_Molina Morgan has made a bunch of upgrades and so I was wondering if you’re still seeing this in your application.
Thanks

hello, it is impossible to configure this view, my app had CARD type views and it was too slow. Also, when trying to configure a card view, the editor crashes and nothing can be done.

The editor crashing is from a previous build of the card view. The only way to fix that is to completely delete the card view and create a new one from scratch. Creating a copy will copy the same error part of the code.

As far as editing card views being slow, I experience the same thing, but it did get (a little) better when I remade the views.

Hi, following up on this discussion… are duration column types excluded from card view? It’s the only column that doesn’t show up as an option on mine. Clarifying this would save me a lot of time, thanks!

I can’t seem to make the Actions work, They are not even showing up. I have a sliced view created and i’ve enabled Slice Actions in it, but when I set them in the UX > Card View, they don’t appear in the preview.

2X_6_6638b4ee48c0b53c21d72c6ab931572106a800aa.png