Chained Derefs

So… uh… How long have we been able to do this?

7 Likes

I’m able to use this after they featured this in Office Hours

1 Like

For about a month. We tried to roll this feature out four months ago but it caused some unexpected side-effects with references, so we had to proceed more cautiously.

This is a very valuable capability and much requested by the more advanced app creators. Good work by
@natalie in our dev team.

14 Likes

Ok, sweet. I thought I had saw it was possible, but then as I tried searching around couldn’t find the proof again, so I also thought I was going crazy.

However, I would like to note for you and & @natalie (without me knowing if this is just still not ready/possible) that this doesn’t seem to work for me:
[Ref].[Related List][Text Col]

Just in case it’s supposed to.

2 Likes

Will using chained derefes instead of adding that extra virtual column bridge increase the performance of an app?

Is it worth going back to completed apps and implementing this? I have some that contain a ton of in-between virtual columns to get the extra layer of depth.

I am only because otherwise I have a VERY expensive VC, where as now I can traverse already calculated paths and lists.

1 Like

Um.
Yes.

1 Like

um
Ok

My expensive VC just went from an average sync of 30 sec to 5 for just itself - which is still my most expensive. So, that’s a major win.

7 Likes

Is an update to Dereference Expressions | AppSheet Help Center upcoming?

4 Likes

@Steve it looks like no one knew we could chain derefs, and the docs need updating.

3 Likes

Done.

9 Likes

Beautiful.
Thanks @Steve for always turning out!

2 Likes

@praveen for us formula aficionados, may I ask what exactly is happening to make this magic happen? Is there an equivalent SELECT() that would explain it?
partyparrot (Appsheet)

What I’m also really wondering is what sort of performance effects this would have on an app with lots of data?

5 Likes

I didn’t know :(, wish i did ha. I listened to the office hours but pretty sure they said it was something they were working on, not that it had been rolled out.

3 Likes

I’m part of the people that didn’t know…

2 Likes

Nobody told me.

7 Likes

I’m most excited about this for workflow report documents…

4 Likes

Seriously? ok.

Guys, 2021 WAS GOING TO BRING MORE TRANSPARENCY ETC. Lets not Bitch and hope it happens :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think it’s fascinating that no one ever wants to take public credit for new features and bug fixes… This community would celebrate and high five the developer(s) responsible so hard!

8 Likes