Change User Settings Save location

Jonathan_S
Participant V

Hello All,

How Can I Move the Save Location of User Settings to the Top?

Solved Solved
0 20 852
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes: use CONTEXT("Device") as the key and a security filter to exclude all other rows.

Not with the built-in user settings, but you could with the setup weโ€™re proposing.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

MultiTech
Participant V

The only way to move a column inside the UserSettings is to manually switch all the settings around from one to the other. (Read: big pain in theโ€ฆ)

If you wanted to switch number 8 to number 1: youโ€™d need to take screenshots (or otherwise document the settings of number 1), then migrate everything from number 8 to number 1, then use your documentation to switch number 8โ€™s settings to number 1โ€™s old settings.

It would be great if we could drag and drop the columns to decide the order.

MultiTech
Participant V

But now that I read your question againโ€ฆ maybe you mean the save button???

As thereโ€™s no Form View UX element, nor is there a master control over where the save button sits (top or bottom) inside the UX>Options panel, thereโ€™s no way to affect that.

Yes I meant the save button < 3

Hmm, It must be a form, we just donโ€™t have an option to change?

Does this bother anyone else?

Yeah, thereโ€™s been a lot of blow-back about that.

If there was a UserSettings form UX element, then weโ€™d be able to make all the adjustments we normally can:

• Move the save button (top or bottom)
  • Auto save
  • Auto reopen
  • View name
  • Form save event action
  • Finish view
  • etc.

You can always make your own user settings table. It wonโ€™t occur in the same location in the main menu, but youโ€™d have a heck of a lot more flexibility. The built-in user settings support is really best thought of as a starter or quick-fix type of option, in my opinion.

@Steve agreed.

My typical move nowadays is to include any โ€œsettingsโ€ that a user may set inside the User table; then I create a slice of the user table, only containing the Settings portion, and put that inside the menu for people to use.

Added bonus here is that you can see what settings people are using when you view the backend; gives you an idea if people are using an aspect of the app or not and if something can be removed.

Yes but is the user table per device? or per user?

Thatโ€™s entirely up to you.

Wellโ€ฆ it wonโ€™t be stored on the device. Thatโ€™s only going to happen with the UserSettings.

And in general, the user table will be for the APP; it will hold details about the users that log into the app.

Ok, So if we have multiple tablet for QA Floating around lets say 8 or 9, I donโ€™t Have a different email for each, but would like them to have there own settingsโ€ฆ Any way to do this without using the user settings? Can I change UserSettings Via Workflow/Actions? Via Detail view toggles etc?

Yes: use CONTEXT("Device") as the key and a security filter to exclude all other rows.

Not with the built-in user settings, but you could with the setup weโ€™re proposing.

Beautiful.
Clear.
Clarified.
Let me work with this.
Let you know,

Thanks

MultiTech
Participant V

Context(โ€œDeviceโ€) was such a game-changer.

WOW!!! Game Changer. Insane. So Many more options and a load of work cause now I need to use this for all previous Projects as well

Please put Context(โ€œDeviceโ€) on Site Banner.

Jonathan_S
Participant V

Guys, So I built my own settings for a dashboard view filterโ€ฆ bla bla bla unique to each device.

Question is, why when a user changes a setting/filter does the dashboard view not update instantaneously? Its Via a action that opens a form.

Seems like the background sync needs to be performed first before the dashboard updates.The Dashboard Views are based on Slices.

More details, please.

MultiTech
Participant V

@Jonathan_S this is probly a bug.

I have a complex app that exhibits the same behavior; only in my case the โ€œbackgroundโ€ sync causes the formulas to re-evaluate to an incorrect answer.

You should inform support@appsheet.com about this.

Top Labels in this Space