Charts - Daily Time Series

This is probably a simple question, but can’t figure out how to do it!

I have a dataset with three variables, [category], [date], [measure]
I would like to create a line chart where the x-axis is [date], the y-axis is [measure] and the graph only presents 1 level of category (either by drop down, or via table/dashboard)

Can anyone help?

0 9 1,489
  • UX
9 REPLIES 9

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Attach you chart to a slice.

Thanks, it’s less the slicing more using the date on a time series that I am having issues with. I can’t seem to get the X axis to show the date field:

The Figure below should show [date] on the axis instead it shows the [category]

On my chart view I don’t seem to have the option to select date at any point (e.g. chart columns does not allow selection of dates).
I’m probably missing something obvious as this seems like a pretty simple graphic…

I’ve also got the same problem. I’ve worked with Appsheet charts a lot and have never realised that you actually can’t have a chart with time (or date, or datetime) as the x-axis!

Surely this is an omission!

If I want to chart [Blood Pressure] against [DateTime] where [Blood Pressure] is Decimal and [DateTime] is a Datetime then the best I can do is to have [DateTime] as the label.

But this is not actually what @Dave_Inman or myself were really after. It displays the points in a sequence, but if you miss a week then this gap will not be reflected in the chart because it’s just a sequence of dots with lables.

The behaviour that @Dave_Inman or myself were really after is a real plot of how a parameter varies with time.

Try it. It’s impossible.

@TDhers This is pretty much exactly what we were discussing RE: Resource histograms. Often for date/datetime… It’s important to be able to define that continuity somehow…

These charts for example display process parameters.

Plotting things in ‘time’ has GOT to be the most popular use of charts surely …

It’s only months later that I realise that it’s not actually a plot of a value against time …

it’s only data ordered by a label.

And hence any gaps will not be rendered correctly on the chart because every point only has a y-value and a label.

I also note that if I’m happy to have no actual x-axis (i.e. use dates as labels) then my y-axis DOES zoom to the data range being displayed …

But if I want to plot an X-Y plot (which I can ONLY achieve by constructing a virtual numeric column expressing each date as a decimal number of days from today) then my y0axis DOESN’T zoom to the data range being displayed …

The expected behaviour would be to have it zoom the same.

TDhers

TDhers

Yes, totally agreed and understood.

Top Labels in this Space