Clustered bar charts

Hello,

IS there a work around to produce clustered bar charts or stacks? In the language of appsheet, this would be multiple group aggregates.

Essentially Iโ€™m looking to acheive the thermometer style bar chart or what also is acheived in Excel by adding a secondary verticle axis, features that you would typically find in a sales type bar chart. For example, on your x-axis you would have the months of the year and for each month a bar for target sales and one for actual sales.

0 9 1,268
9 REPLIES 9

Hello?

Hi Joe!

Sorry you havenโ€™t gotten a response. Iโ€™ve been using AppSheet for a few years now and have gotten lots and lots of help here over the years. Usually, people at AppSheet are pretty good about responding. Occasionally, however, if no one who sees your post knows the answer, a post can go for a while without a response.

I donโ€™t happen to have the answer to your question but I hope someone will chime in soon. Good luck with your app!

@Joe_Ojay Do you have any sample chart that you could share? It would be easier to think what you are looking for?

In addition to Aleksiโ€™s question, is your x-axis fixed (there will only ever be a bar for each month, or some set of months)?

If the x-axis can be fixed, then this is almost certainly doable with SVG, in the event that it canโ€™t be done natively with AppSheets charts.

Dynamic SVG:

I forgot about SVG. I was asking about another graph related question on another thread and now I think I realize that I should probably be using SVG:

Hey Kirk,

Something like that would be possible, but there are some constraints:

• There is some limitation on vertical scaling of images / svgโ€™s within AppSheet - at a certain point they get cropped
  • Dynamically adding or removing bars on an axis may be difficult to achieve in AppSheet. If there is a static number of bars you wanted to display, that would work better.

Regarding the chart you showed, have you considered using a line chart?

Jon

Thanks @Jonathon! Indeed, a line chart is a choice I looked at but after playing around with the textual approach, Iโ€™ve pretty much decided to go with that after all, especially since it seems easier and more practical for me than SVG. Hereโ€™s another little chart I made today (as a regular, new feature of my app):

โ‘  โซฟโซฟโซฟ 9 (<2s)
โ‘ก โซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟ 14 (2-6s)
โ‘ข โซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟ 42 (6-18s)
โ‘ฃ โซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟ 80 (18-60s)
โ‘ค โซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟ 135 (1-5m)
โ‘ฅ โซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟ 56 (5-30m)
โ‘ฆ โซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟ 29 (0.5-2h)
โ‘ง โซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟ 33 (2-8h)
โ‘จ โซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟโซฟ 25 (8h-1.5d)
โ‘ช โซฟ 3 (1.5-3d)
โ‘ซ
โ‘ฌ
โ‘ญ โซฟ 1 (>15d

In addition to a visual representation of the number of instances in each category, I wanted to have plenty of room for labeling (number of instances followed by the period of time since previous instance). Since the labeling is pretty important, I think Iโ€™ll wind up sticking with this.

Thanks for your input @Kirk_Masden and @Aleksi @Jonathon

Iโ€™m not sure what is meant by a fixed x-axis. The data is updated regularly so the values do change frequently, but generally speaking, the x-axis will change infrequently. Probably once once a month.

What I had in mind was something like this (see attached).

Alternatively, I know Appsheet accepts URLโ€ฆ Can I publish the chart I have in Google sheets and then simply have an image displayed in a dashboard fashion (large scale)? I know Appsheet supports URL but Iโ€™ve rarely seen URLโ€™s being used for dynamic charts that are updated on the back end. Also, Iโ€™ve typically only seen apps that have URL links embedded in in-line views or thumbails, that you have to click to enlarge and visualize. Iโ€™m looking for a solution that enables the user to visualize the chart without clicking further, like a dashboard, as said above.

Thanks!

Hello all,

so because of the limitations of the native charts in Appsheet, it seems that the following link explains how to add a link to a dynamic chart in google sheets, which could be a work around that would satisfy me.

Can you tell me if this feature (specifically the code pertaining to google sheet image) is still applicable because when I try the code it gives me an error.

@Kirk_Masden

Top Labels in this Space