Column Description displayed instead of Display Name

TLDR:
For table columns
IF colDescription="" THEN app.displays(colDisplayName)
ELSE app.displays(colDescription)

I’m not sure if it’s my setup, or a wrong reference in the code itself, but my app appears to be using the column “Description” field as the “Display Name”, and ignores whatever is in the “Display Name” field whenever “Description” has a value.

When “Description” is empty, it uses the correct “Display Name”, but I don’t think that’s ideal.

Is this a bug, or is there something I’m not getting?

Thanks

0 9 2,743
9 REPLIES 9

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Can you post some screenshots showing this?

My bad. I thought I did.

In forms, the logic for choosing how to identify columns is as follows:

IFS(
  ISNOTBLANK(description),
    description,
  ISNOTBLANK(display-name),
    display-name,
  TRUE,
    column-name
)

Everywhere else, the logic is:

IFS(
  ISNOTBLANK(display-name),
    display-name,
  TRUE,
    column-name
)

So from what I understand, the logic will take the first TRUE and disregard the rest of the condition checking.

Thank you, Steve, for clearing that up!

@Steve is this just in forms or detail views also?

I believe the column’s description is only ever displayed in forms.

Column description is used when you need a longer version of a question but dont want or need an essay for the column header in a form.

Would be great to have a tool/feature for more detailed explanation of a display name. E.g. show the description if you hoover over the label (or long press the screen).

......and it would be great if it was possible to note some comment somewhere, to explain what some code is doing.
Sometimes I read my formula back and I think: "What the heck was I trying to do here?"
A comment section would be so helpful, or being able to use comments in the code.

Top Labels in this Space