Column width in table view does not take into...

Column width in table view does not take into account the max column width

Trying to maximize the data seeing in a table on a mobile is a very important task for good UI. It seems that appsheet arbitrarily limit the number of columns to 3 sometimes 4 or some other miss calculation. E.g. in the attach example, the second field NI is a TEXT field with initials of names, 2 characters in size. I set the max width of that column to be 2. So I expected it to place the next field โ€˜POโ€™ just after it, but it keeps a lot of space for no reason, which leaves no space for the message. The PO is a text field with a width limit of 4 characters, but there it decides to show only 2 (indeed I have for now only PO with 2 characters in size)

It looks like a bug in the column size calculations. Can you please fix that?

Thanks a lot!

0 10 1,521
  • UX
10 REPLIES 10

More info about thatโ€ฆ if I change the PO field to be REF (instead of Text) it decides to increase the space taken by that field in the table UI see here:

So it is all very unpredictableโ€ฆ

I hope this is a small thing to fix

The column width determination is actually quite complicated, but column statistics are only generated when you choose โ€œSave and Verifyโ€ in the editor (it noticeably speeds up saving many small changes if we skip this on Save).

So two things to try: - Make sure the column width option in the table settings is Narrow - Save and Verify, then sync the app

@Adam_Stone_AppSheet thanksโ€ฆ sure this is the first thing I tried. All im showing here is with Narrow and after save. If the intent was to leave minimal space so for sure this is bug.

When the situation is like that with fixed length, I normally merge these columns with the virtual column and then I can be sure that it shows them correctly. I know it would be better if the app could show that situation perfectly but sometimes we need to use workarounds.

@Aleksi_Alkio yes. Did that

but you loose the sorting capability per column. Sounds like a small bug fix.

@Aleksi_Alkio and when you do that the columns are not aligned. You can never know how much space to leaveโ€ฆ it depends on the fontโ€ฆ all becomes ugly

You can still sort the order in the table view even if you show only the merged column. But as I said, it works in some cases.

@Aleksi_Alkio How can you sort?? the user has the ability to click on a column and sort the data according to that column. If few columns are merged you can only sort on the first column

Not from the column header though. I meant from the table viewโ€™s definition.

@Aleksi_Alkio sure. Not related to table view.

Top Labels in this Space