Coming Soon: AppSheet's Fresh New Look

carie

Hello everyone!
Just a heads up, now that AppSheet is a part of Google Cloud we’re freshening up our UI to better fit with the Google family of products

This new “Material” look will only affect colors, fonts, and icons. It’s still the same AppSheet under the hood! Here’s a sneak peak of what’s coming:

39 154 9,317
154 REPLIES 154

How will this change affect the UX that the actual app user will see?

Former Community Member
Not applicable

None at this point.

Would love feedback from all of you — especially around the editor which many of us live in every day.

No change to the app UX — this is only about website and editor changes

Thanks Praveen! I like first change for “My Apps” (It looks clean), but there are a few things in the Editor that I would recommend changing.

And also, i’ve never found a use for the recommended added views that appear next to the “+” button at the top. Maybe this is just me, or maybe other users feel the same way, I don’t know. But that clutters up the screen in my opinion.

Rather than these small things, good job!

This is what I envision in my head…

• Bold Menu Options
  • Concentrated +, search bar, link, suggestions, and 4 squares to one line
  • Changed look of “AppSheet | Business”
  • Different Icons in Emulator
  • My post at bottom (Post #42) has a fuller list

Comparison

I am not a design expert by any means, but this is my feedback. Still, the changes that AppSheet are about to make are a big step forward from a design standpoint! It looks much cleaner!

This is just my opinion, others might disagree…

I agree with the add views. This is nice for new comers but gets annoying fast. We should have the ability to turn this off in account settings for All our apps.

Totally agree. I like the new UI overall, but that’s a big section of ‘front-and-center’ screen space to give up for auto-suggestions that rarely get used.

Maybe all the suggestions could be nested inside the (+) button, so that you choose to add a view first, then see suggestions.

Maybe like this…

Yes, but I’d condense it even further, removing the entire row with the large plus button. Then just shorten the search bar row to add the (+) button there.

I think they’ve done a great job of keeping the same overall layout and applying the Material theme and Google ‘feel’. But I saw that whole section as a waste of screen space before, and it seems even worse now, with the extra padding that Material adds. I’m sure some new users find the suggestions useful, but they take up a lot of room in the first place you look and just get in the way for some users.

That was carried over from the old UI though, not part of the new update. I think the new UI is awesome. Just not a fan of the suggestions taking up so much space.

This…

Compared to…

Dang, you’re fast! Yeah, that looks way better than all the suggestions having their own box.

Thanks! I use google drawings and screenshots

I agree. I have yet to use a recommended view to create. I’d rather have that real estate for something else.

The other suggestions look good, as well.

1. Ability to group apps by tags
  2. Dark theme

I agree 100% on the first one, that would help me a lot.

I AM AMPED! Loved the Google Material system! As a Graphic Designer each post I see about UX/UI for app design or the editor gets me more excited for the future of this platform. Thank you AppSheet and Google team for your constant dedication to improving your platform!

Not a big fan of the New logo Icon.
But WOW, ‘AppSheet’ sure does look good in Product Sans!

I assume this means AppSheet font list is going to include Montserrat now?

With any luck we’ll be able to get access to all of Google’s fonts.

Yes, this would be great!

Exactly my thoughts/hopes. But for me if I can at least finagle Montserrat; its a win!

Bahbus

Love it, just looking for a native dark theme to help my delicate eyes. Especially since everything in the default Material theme is even brighter than the current theme.

Yes please dark mode is a must for us that love the dark
Dark mode chrome, gmail, youtube, slack, and my IDE’s. Add appsheet to that list and I’d be in heaven.

I could live with that. Though my preference would be a true amoled dark mode (ie black pixels are off), that would work for me, or matching the colors to the dark mode here in the community.

I know its been mentioned before when topics asking for darkmode come up, but i’ll mention it again here. There are extensions for Chrome or Firefox for making websites darker / easier to read. Here is my google cloud console with the Chrome extension ‘Dark Reader’ enabled:

AppSheets redesign would look similar to the above when using the extension.

I’ve played with some of those. They’re fine, but the AppSheet editor is already kind of a heavy website and pretty much all of them work by post-processing.

It would be better native to AppSheet. Maybe like this…

White Mode

Gray Mode

Black Mode

Yes! This!

Looks amazing; have always been a fan of Google’s aesthetic. Has a much more professional feel to it.

AWESOME! I can’t wait to start using it! I think it looks great overall, and I’m really excited to see what’s next now that we’re in the Google ecosystem.

The one thing that stands out is, there’s a lot of wasted space around the emulator preview.

It would be awesome to see the sync time displayed there again! That was really helpful during development when performance testing and trying different formulas.

I would also love to see the sync time back again.

Yeah, I have always wondered why that was taken off.

Agreed! There is plenty of screen real estate. It is so helpful to have it right there.

I do hate to say I’m not the biggest fan of the google aesthetics as a whole. Maybe adding different themes with slight changes to the new UI at a later point would be a possibility.

Maybe Like This

Awesomeness like the new look

carie

Love all the comments, suggestions, and mockups so far! 100% agree, still a lot of room for improvement. This is but one of many iterations to come, so please keep the conversation going, we’re taking a lot of notes

This is what I love about Appsheet’s relationship with the community. You guys have something really special here

List of Suggestions so Far…

1. Logo

2X_c_c10b1453981ac293810d38a6e9a2ff58a7d25924.png --compared to-- 2X_2_24c16ebc29c56bd543a7e0858b8f450a26261b99.png

2. Dark Mode/Light Mode (Maybe White/Gray/Black?)

2X_c_ced0276bb53c9cf2bce99604a0291e5677396327.png 2X_3_3602f5ee5cb2d928561e2371e3679d562c9e7125.png 2X_9_9b745043ad5e68aed9ae576d93056f35c4ec352c.png

3. “See Suggestions” button instead of showing suggestions every time

2X_8_895798b2540c3cd8916153abfe75b78edd9dd7b6.png

4. Put + button, search bar, link to documentation about views (i), and 4 squares button on same line

2X_e_ee2e57f7d0164aa96c730315bf45f855645a93dc.png

5. Sync Analyzer in Emulator

2X_1_16429a3452afdac1269b16d48961aff6d175ead7.png

6. Bolder Vertical and Horizontal Menu Options

2X_f_f4b117d0231f10edd0896fdc8d8da41fdc737b0a.png 2X_a_a34c5b3d74a1d70c3df14553c5b7466cd5499565.png
2X_b_b431264f9bd3cb006fea79693bbd19162b2dd4e3.png
2X_f_fc3ac10955c32d50e827d68826bd92b2bd9259a0.png

7. Themes/Changes

8. Wasted Space around emulator preview

9. Fonts

10. “Community” added to top menu next to "Save"

Mock Up Editors (Open to suggestions!)

Please reply to this post if you would like me to change anything on the mockup suggestion editor. Thanks!