Community Poll: Have you made any money from freelancer websites for AppSheet jobs?

MultiTech
Participant V

Hey everyone, Matt here.

I was just speaking with someone that’s new to the platform, giving some advice on how to grow their AppSheet consultancy business, and the question was asked about freelancer websites.

My experience is from 2-3 years ago, but back then my answer to this poll would be (No, but I’ve had some hits). I never found any work through those websites (Upwork, Fiver, etc.), but I did find plenty of people looking for traditional development work (like Android Apps). I’m curious how people are doing now.

If you have engaged in some freelancer job-finding sites for AppSheet jobs, could you answer the question below?

Have you made any money from freelancer websites for AppSheet jobs???
  • Yes, it keeps on coming
  • Yes, but not enough to live off
  • No, but I’ve had some hits
  • Nope, never
  • Never tried

0 voters

Thanks for your participation!

App-on my friends 3X_d_5_d51363a862e7ab883241c312ac5d7f271579cdd3.gif

6 36 2,769
36 REPLIES 36

GreenFlux
Participant V

I’ve been using UpWork and Fiverr for several years and have found plenty of work. But it took a while to build up a profile and enough reviews before the leads really started coming in.

It’s only been this past year that I’ve seen a huge uptick in demand for AppSheet-specific jobs, though. Before, I would just apply to other jobs involving Google Sheets, AirTable, SmartSheet, etc, and I’d recommend AppSheet, instead. But now I have new clients asking for AppSheet specifically.

I do a lot of 1-on-1 trainings with clients and have a library of Google Slide presentations on different topics. I’m thinking about making one specifically on freelancing. If enough people are interested, maybe we could set up a workshop.

@MultiTech_Visions, what do you think? Want to put together a freelancer training?

@GreenFlux have you checked out AppSheetTraining.com???

I know they’re looking for experts

Yes, it’s a great resource!

I have plenty of work though. I have several long term clients that keep me pretty busy.

I was thinking more along the lines of a ‘how to freelance’ training, not ‘how to build AppSheet apps’.

Did you end up producing the "how to freelance" guide?

Sounds good! It would be great to know a bit about the content of the workshop.

I guess it just depends on community interest. I have a ton of experience with Fiverr and UpWork, so I could go into detail on the differences, and tips for success. Maybe other devs could share their experience with different platforms.

Other topics might include:

• Choosing the right job (is it a good fit for AppSheet?)
  • Choosing clients (and which ones to avoid)
  • Drafting proposals
  • Managing communications, bug reports, feature requests
  • Hourly vs fixed-price, milestones
  • Managing client expectations
  • Building reviews/ profile, marketing

Wow. Sounds really interesting.

Sign me up @GreenFlux!

Thank you

For anyone interested, I have the AppSheet Freelancer training about half done.

It’s a basic guide to freelancing, as it applies to AppSheet devs using UpWork and Fiverr.

If anyone else is interested in contributing content or sharing your experiences on other freelance sites, please message me or post below. Thanks!

Thanks @GreenFlux, please count me in for the Freelancer training when its done.

Thanks!

I’m in!!

Is the training still available,  Sir?

MultiTech
Participant V

This does sound like a great resource! 3X_d_5_d51363a862e7ab883241c312ac5d7f271579cdd3.gif

Does anyone have any suggestions on topics, or have any questions about being an “AppSheet freelancer” that you want answered???

@GreenFlux and @MultiTech_Visions are going to collaborate and put together some sort of resource (video, slideshow presentation, PDF, something!) if people are interested.
Let us know, in the comments below!

Austin
Participant V

3X_d_5_d51363a862e7ab883241c312ac5d7f271579cdd3.gif you made it hold an appsheet logo…too much
I am curious what the scope size of the average freelancer appsheet project is? We use appsheet as a company and have apps that are 1 table and a view or complete systems that involve Zapier, AWS processes, RPA processes, Alteryx data manipulation, integrations with our back of the house retail software systems, all in a single app. Do people tend to want appsheet by itself or integrate appsheet with their current systems?

HA! I missed that the first time. That’s perfect, @MultiTech_Visions!

It’s only been the last few months that I’ve seen clients specifically seeking AppSheet devs. Usually I find jobs where the client was using Google Sheets/Excel and wants to add features or integrate with another service. But they usually haven’t heard of AppSheet, so I have to introduce them to it and sell the idea.

Party Parrot as a Service my friend!

my coworkers are gonna hate you for sending me that link.

Welcome to the CultOfThePartyParrot.com

Awesome parrots! Thanks

I had a revelation. I can save this as a gif for slack. no one is safe from the party parrot. everyone will join the cult.

I started off one and a half year ago to develop the ERP for our own construction business, and there had been one or two knots which were to be untied before I could unlock an immense potential, and it happened a year ago.

To be honest I really learned appsheet during the COVID lockdown period, when our construction business operations were on hiatus. I made it grow from a few tables to close to 60, and almost all of our business operations are now run through an Appsheet app.

When I became confident that I have enough knowledge to start working for others, I created gigs on Fiverr and it took a while to get my first client. That was still during lockdown, so I could invest a handsome amount of time in that project, and as a first timer I kept my prices pretty low, and that coupled with faster-than-promised deliveries, earned me 8 assignments from him back to back and that really bolstered my Fiverr profile.

Now I still keep prices low to earn orders, and recently there have been quite a number of orders that I took and delivered.

Recently I was looking for a hand to help me with this because it’s really becoming difficult to run three things at a time (I have one clothing business apart from construction, and that too runs on an Appsheet app made by me), because I can’t deliver fast enough now, and this all has led to work burnout quite a bit.

Also it helps to have some other skills in the box (I am not comfortable enough with the webhooks, API things), like scripting etc and though I really want to have them all, I can’t because of time. Still I want to grow this thing because it has helped me to create meaningful income.

Lastly, if anyone other than the persons mostly replying to this thread who are established Appsheet experts, are looking to start with Appsheet and create a living, please start. It’s a wonderful thing. I am a civil engineer with little to no coding background, still I learned and have been able to create income. And I will protect my credentials to my last breath, no matter to what extent I have to stretch.

Sorry, I tend to get very long on my statements. Thank u if you have reached this far.

@Pratyay_Rakshit,

Your story is inspiring. Despite being from civil engineering background, you have been creating successful business apps , truly living up as a shining example of AppSheet 's “no code and citizen developers” concept.

Additionally you have two other main businesses to run and still you have mastered AppSheet. Truly remarkable. Kudos.

Thank you. That was only possible because of the wonderful support you provide.

Particularly indebted to you - @Suvrutt_Gurjar, @Steve, @LeventK for this.

Thank mate it is inspire story, I am civil engineer and I have good experince in Appsheet.

Sounds very intriguing and well done for carving out a new Business. I would be interested to learn about the kind-of support package you offer. Or do you train a person from the Client organisation who can then go-on to support the app? Being no-code this approach would certainly work in keeping with the citizen developer methodology.

I currently have a number of AppSheet projects underway developing solutions for the Financial Services sector, which is a tough gig, with very complex demands. But here I am using a SaaS model. My background is in Software Engineering, more recently as an Architect designing solutions, mainly for Banking / Finance and Regulatory compliance.

I enjoy using AppSheet because you can see a solution rapidly take shape without getting tangled-up in the coding and deployment hurdles.

I’ve tried support packages before, but what really tends to happen is we have one meeting and I answer most of the questions there - then maybe a few weeks later they reach back out for another meeting, where I answer the rest of the questions that allows them to get their project where it needs to be.

Another client of mine back in the early days was the situation where I trained the head of the IT department, and then he would build apps to use within the company, and train their IT people to support those. Every once in a while they would all get together for a group training session.

Training is fun, I have a knack for it and I enjoy it, but I’d rather be able to help a bunch of people all at once instead of just the one person paying me. That’s why I started a patreon page; it was my hope that I could shift away from working for individuals and specific clients, to working for the group as a whole. (But it can be tough to find time to work on these “side” projects when I need to pay the bills. lol)

Very encouraging. Thanks for sharing!

Austin
Participant V

You guys need to stop posting stories on this thread cause you’re making me want to start attempting freelance.
I have some questions about how you handle the licensing portion of Appsheet. Do you all have your own accounts and the companies that you work with have user licenses off of your account or they all make their own and you are co-authored onto their apps? Give them ownership when you finish the apps? Like how does that all go down?

DO IT! This is the perfect time. Google has just begun investing in AppSheet. It’s about to become a major player in the no-code market.

I’ve tried lots of different approaches. I have some clients on delegated billing with an app that I host, and others host it from their account. Usually I build the app in my account using dummy data and then let the client make a copy at some point towards the end of development, before entering their client’s personal data.

I prefer this over transferring the app, because I tend to build reusable apps that can easily be repurposed. So after delivering the app to the client, I can strip out any specifics and repurpose the app for my general library of template apps.

DO IT!!! 3X_d_5_d51363a862e7ab883241c312ac5d7f271579cdd3.gif

Great ideas. I have several prototypes for the healthcare sector. Would love to get more clients.

Francios
Participant III

Count me in

lamontfr
Participant III

@GreenFlux I am interested in your Freelancer Training.

GreenFlux
Participant V

Keep posting, or message me if you’re interested in freelancing and finding AppSheet jobs!

Lots of new things in the works, and I’m looking for input on what new freelancers need most.

Also, if you’re NOT looking for AppSheet work, and have too many leads-- I’m working on a solution for that, too.

In the meantime (if you’re looking for work)

in order of Importance, as a freelancer (not chronological)

1. Create an account on Upwork and/or Fiverr

2. Set up a website/social media page, or other online presence (place for reviews/posts), and start posting new content

3. Contribute regularly to the forums
    Questions count, too! Soon, you’ll be answering them!

4. Apply to be an AppSheet Partner

GreenFlux
Participant V

UPDATE: New community resource for freelancers!

Top Labels in this Space